Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Informatica migration to Kettle

Default Informatica migration to Kettle

Has anybody tried mapping Informatica metadata to Kettle? That is, translating an Informatica job into a Kettle one in an automated fashion?

I've got a lot of experience with the Informatica model, and would be interested to speak to anybody who knows the Kettle one well for existing transformations.

As mentioned before... it's very hard to do a one-to-one mapping from any ETL tool to another ETL tool. Not that we stop you from trying of course

I once dabbled with migrating jobs from DataStage to PDI in an automatic way.... not really possible... you get to about 75% if you consider some templates, but that's about it. The tools (also informatica) are too different to be able to make a magic conversion tool.

You do have the source code of PDI, for the rest you would need to build up some experience with it, it's not something done in 30 minutes ... if you get it partially working Pentaho will probably be interested .

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 11-17-2008 at 12:33 PM.

We are interested. Informatica might be different because from what I hear both use metadata driven streaming engines.
    But Sven's right as well in the sense that things like the Informatica variant of their scripting language is going to be hard to port.

Matt

Default Informatica migration to Kettle

One option that's looking feasible in particular is a PDI/INFA common conversion tool, they use a surprisingly similar metamodel, though certainly not the same. One thing we'd look to improve on is the name/attribute styling of many of the Informatica metadata tables.

We have two models we're going to try, XML to XML conversion, which I imagine is more simple given the linearity, but this would be a basis to start looking at a repository wide conversion.

lol ... amaze us

Problem which I see, is that there's not a one-to-one mapping possible of a job in informatica to a job in PDI: not all informatica components exist in PDI, and the execution framework is not the same.

You can get around that if you only do simple cases, but for the more complex cases you should get very stuck.

Regards,
    Sven

Default Informatica -> PDI conversion

No question that complex mappings will not be possible, but in my experience 90% of Informatica clients only use the basics (having been a Principal Consultant in Informatica Professional Services, I've seen a lot of clients!).

Thumbs up Informatica to Kettle Migration

I am about to start working on this Migration project. Could any one pl help me out on best links or docs on Informatica to Kettle Migration.

Thanks in advance
    -- Cherukuri
    Regards
    Cherukuri

we are analyzing the metadata of Pentaho mappings and jobs by exporting them into XML or .ktr & .kjb files. But we could not locate the schema definition (.xsd or .dtd) file of these XMLs under the server installation folders. can anyone help us on this?