Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: merge join hanging 3.0.3/3.1

Default merge join hanging 3.0.3/3.1

I'm reading in data and copy the flow into 2 flows and try to rejoin each flow back together in a merge join. One side doing a lot of filter, grouping, etc. The other side almost straight into the merge join. Works ok on small volume, but if i get over 20k row - its just hanges. Is it possible there is a timing issue with merge join? Any thoughts why it might hang on still relatiively light volume.
    thanks
    -shawn

DEinspanjer Guest

Have you been monitoring the memory usage of the JVM while this transformation is running?

It's probably not an issue with the Merge Join. I bet it's that you are running out of buffer space.
    The transformation stalls because you are basically joining data with itself.
    Either double the source step itself or put a Sort/Blocker step in between to buffer the rows.

We tried the extra sort step which worked. I didn't look into JVM usage to see about the memory space. I wiil have to check this out to avoid future problems. I need to read up a little on the JVM memory usage. thanks for the advice.
    -shawn

It's not running out of memory, it's running out of buffer space. You can change the buffer space (Row set size) in the transformation settings (Misc tab).