Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle repository - use and how to create?

Default Kettle repository - use and how to create?

Hi,

I've been through the docs and forums, and have 2 questions:

1. What is a kettle repository for? Are there things you can do with a repository that you can't do with xml files?

Ah; I just answered my second question. You create with the connect dialog in spoon. Ok thats fine!

Dan

OK, there is one thing you can do with a repository: store your ETL metadata centrally in your organization. And you allow concurrent access.
    So two things: central metadata and concurrent access. On top of that it offers a nice automatic inventory of all the used transformations, jobs and connections.
    OK, OK, 3 things! Central metadata, concurrent access and provide an inventory. Besides that it also allows you to directly load execute transformations and jobs from the repository. So remote execution becomes easier as well.
    4 things...

OK, let me start all over...

Ok, best practice then.

I'm still finding the lack of doco frustrating - i've created a repository, but how do I add a user to it so i can log in?

For now i'm putting it into the Platform Hibernate database - Not sure if there's anything right or wrong about that! It doesnt feel right, but i couldnt be bothered to create a clean db just yet

Dan
    Last edited by codek; 11-20-2008 at 12:15 PM.

oh; admin/admin

But of course!

Right then; So my next question, is how do you publish a solution, or all your transformations to a new repository? I'm thinking, managing dev envs, and then deploying the final config to production... That does seem one area where the file based approach appears easier..
    Last edited by codek; 11-20-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Here's a nice thread that helps with the file system vs repository thingy:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=62028

Cheers!

Ok, interesting.

I think at this stage all it seems to do is over complicate things. I like the central storage of metadata though. Maybe i can mix and match. However for now i think we'll just deploy standalone.

Thanks!
    Dan