Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle 3.1 and JXL library

Default Kettle 3.1 and JXL library

Good morning,

I know that JXL is used by our favorite ETL to execute some operation in reading and writing from/to XL files.
    But the JXL library is very rich in functionalities. It can write directly to one cell, format it, add objects, ... . So to make Kettle used this kind of functionalities do I have to write some java script ? If yes , how can I do so.. ? Ho can I tests the samples scripts that JXL library provide in Kettle ?

May thanks for your help

Benoit

There's no easy way... the excel output step does what it's supposed to do, convert incoming rows to rows in an excel sheet (with some basic templating)

If you want to format individual cells, ... this is not in. I also don't see a way to put it in. You can probably get around it using a piece of javascript, but the work involved in that will be pretty big, and would be an ugly workaround.

Regards,
    Sven

Default Thanks

Thanks Sven for your quick response.

Do you know where I can have some samples in order to tests JXL lib in javascript owned by Kettle ?

Do you think it will be a nice project to work on this kind of exporting action to a speadsheet (XL or openoffice). In a more gloabal way , dont't you think Kettle missed a powerful interface to produce report ?

Thanks for your time

Benoit

Quote Originally Posted by benoitf92 View Post
    Do you know where I can have some samples in order to tests JXL lib in javascript owned by Kettle ?
    Essentially you would be calling java objects via Javascript, but for larger chunks like you want to do it will become pretty complex. There are some small examples available on the wiki on calling java from the javascript step, but nothing compared in size to what you want to play with.

For such things it's probably better to write your own step if you want to go that way, but in this instance I don't see a real way to implement it as step.

Do you think it will be a nice project to work on this kind of exporting action to a speadsheet (XL or openoffice). In a more global way , don't you think Kettle missed a powerful interface to produce report ?
    Nothing "missed" I think... PDI is an ETL tool... not a reporting tool. There are other tools available if you want to make nice reports

Besides that, PDI is row based and it's very hard to get something done like "highlight cell A6 ..."

So it's not in because it's not the focus of PDI... also the reason why you probably won't see PDF or Word outputs in PDI. And also because what you want to do is not very compatible with the way of processing in PDI.

Default Others questions ...

Many thanks Sven for your clear and precise response.

So far, Kettle is a good ETL and I used it a lot in the company where I work.
    But Kettle remain an IT tool, for manipulating data. One of the step would be to allow end users to manipulate data and make report with them , like with BIRT ... but all of that things encapsulated in Kettle.

But as you mention, it is not the main function for an ETL.

Thanks

Benoit

So far, Kettle is a good ETL and I used it a lot in the company where I work.
    But Kettle remain an IT tool, for manipulating data. One of the step would be to allow end users to manipulate data and make report with them , like with BIRT ... but all of that things encapsulated in Kettle.

But as you mention, it is not the main function for an ETL.
    Lol ... I've mentioned it a couple of times in general, and I'll mention it probably a couple of more times: Gold Hammer Syndrome... people thinking that since they have a hammer (PDI in casu), everything looks like a nail.

You can use a hammer to "screw" in a screw, but you're better off with a screw-driver

In your case I'm perfectly convinced you can make something like what you intend, but you'd spend an awful lot of time/money trying to cram something in which doesn't really fit, and for which there are better solutions.

The 2 most mentioned gold hammer "visions" with PDI:
    1) Yours, making reports with PDI
    2) database migrations: complete copy from 1 to another database.

Regards,
    Sven