Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: File transfer and unzipping problems

Default File transfer and unzipping problems

Hello, I am having a problem unzipping all gz files with PDI. I get the following error when I try to unzip "Could not unzip file [C:\TEMP\pete\prnewswirecom2_2008-11-23.tar.gz]. Exception : [error in opening zip file]"

I was going to try to unzip it with shell but for some reason files, that PDI transfers with get ftp and sftp, fail to open with the tar command. Also all checksums fail as well because the file size is always slightly smaller after pentaho transfers it. Can anyone tell me what PDI is doing to files during the transfer process that would cause this? All other FTP applications I tried had the exact same file size after transfer.

I did notice I can open the files with winzip (8.1). If I extract them and then zip them again via winzip, PDI can unzip them properly.

Please help, file retrieval was one of the major reason we invested time and resources into PDI.

Moving over files in binary mode?

Not all zip/gz formats are the same, so even if you ftp over binary you sometimes could have a problem depending on what application made the "zip" file.

Regards,
    Sven

Sven, how do I enable the binary option with SFTP?

Checking the binary option did fix the other half (standard ftp) of my file transfer problems.

-Pete

as far as I remember sftp does not have have binary/ascii mode... it auto-checks.

Regards,
    Sven

DEinspanjer Guest

I saw you mentioned a Windows file path in there.. you wouldn't happen to be dealing with a Cygwin SFTP server would you? Cygwin has a binary flag that you set for your mount volumes that tells it whether to do some funky auto conversion from Unix line endings into Windows line endings. If that mount is not set as binary, you could run into problems like what you describe. Just a wild guess.