Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Mainframe connectivity

Default Mainframe connectivity

Hi all

I just wanted to enquire whether it is possiable to connect to mainframe from the kettle and get the values of the flat file in mainframe (like ISAM file) out through kettle??

Please respond...

thanks and regards

Not possible (<= v3.1)... the normal solution is to have your mainframe people write a small JCL that unpacks all packed fields, convert EBCDIC to ASCII and remove the high- and lo- characters.

Regards,
    Sven

thanks sboden for reply....
    i need some more help..can you please describe it more like after doing all the conversions through JCL which you have discribed, do we need to store those values into DB2 database of mainfraim and then only we can take those values or there is some other way to do it??

thanks and regards
    Last edited by meenaiyer; 12-09-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Or is there any middleware available which can directely talk to ISAM or VSAM file through pentaho without writing any JCL or any program because this program may cause an overhead to the customer and they may not accept it.....so please share accross if you have any middleware kind of thing available which can solve above problem.

thanks and regards

Not default in PDI... and as far as I know the plugins out there, also not available as 3rd party plugin.

In the past there were some (non PDI) products to make such kind of files available via JDBC, but I haven't played with them in a long time.

Regards,
    Sven