Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: setting a variable - one row per transformation

Default setting a variable - one row per transformation

Hi folks,
    I'm a bit stuck with a model, where I read from a table all records to be processed, write the rows with the step "copy rows to result", from there I'm running an other job: Within this job is a transformation which should read the result. In my understanding from the samples - one row only. But the context help and tip describe it as a "get rows from result". I wish to use one row only for dblookup, to write the data from this lookup to a variable (here one variable per run is allowed).
    From the descriptoin of Kettle's sample I got the impression, that is the way to go, but seems, I'm wrong:
    But I get all the time an error message, letting me know, the transformatoin is trying to write a 2nd row to the variable, which is not allowed as we know ...

What would be the solution, the way to go?

Tx. Alexander

The problem is that all steps in a transformation run in a parallel. So what would be the value of a variable if more than 1 row would be allowed to hit the step (hint: it would depend on the moment the variable is used... at random you would get 1 of the possible values).

Also for the same reason... even when 1 row hits the variable step, the variable only becomes active at that time. And some steps may already use the variable name before (which would then be undefined).

So for variables you set the variable in 1 transformation and use them in another. Under the samples directory there's an example as "process all rows" which uses variable to do similar processing.

Regards,
    Sven

Hi Sven,
    Thanks for your reply, but your approach was just the one I was using. I tried to point out in my poste, I used your sample - I used a job within a job and this job consists of separate transformations. So the root job looks the rows up, writes them to results, the job after this starts a transformation, where the row is set to the variable.
    My understanding was, for every row in the parent job, the child is started in a loop. So the child gets only one row after the other.
    Just like in your sample.

Do you think a screenshot would be helpful?

Cheers, Alexander

Then you're doing something wrong... if you start up the actual combination "1 time per row" you should not be getting multiple rows at the set variable step.

My guess (from past experience) would be that you need 1 extra level/layer of jobs.

Regards,
    Sven

hm, thanks, I agree with you, but I don't see the solution ;-( cheers alexander