Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: JNDI pool size assignment in kettle

Default JNDI pool size assignment in kettle

Hi,
    We are using Pentaho toll and facing problem to assigning minimum and maximum pool size of jndi connection. even we have assigned pool size for jdbc in kettle but its not picking pool size from their, can we assign the same in jdbc.properties also.

We are using Pentaho toll and facing problem to assigning minimum and maximum pool size of jndi connection. even we have assigned pool size for jdbc in kettle but its not picking pool size from their, can we assign the same in jdbc.properties also.

guessing you use variables for min and max pool size?

Regards,
    Sven

Default JNDI pool Size

Hi Sven

Actuall we are using JNDI connection and in that connection even after defining 'min' and 'max' variables in POOLING option available in DATABASE CONNECTION , it is not picking that change in JNDI case. And when we are connecting from JDBC connection, then we are able to connect.

Actually we want to connect multiple connections to a single data source via JNDI. In this case it looses the connection automatically and then unable to reconnect itself.

Can u plz figure some way out?

Thanks in advance

Do you use variables ${...} for min and max size?

Regards,
    Sven

Default JNDI connection

HI Sven..

We have done both ways...
    a) using ${database.minPoolsize} and ${database.maxPoolsize} in the
    Transformation file code

Code:
    <attribute><code>MAXIMUM_POOL_SIZE</code><attribute>${database.maxPoolsize}</attribute></attribute>

<attribute><code>INITIAL_POOL_SIZE</code><attribute>${database.minPoolsize}</attribute></attribute>
    But the problem is that this will not work as specified by you in one post on jira.. But it is not very clear... Plz clarify..the link to which is:

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-148

and

b) Other ways used is directly using Pooling option available in the
    database connections in the kettle only...

But Nothing works..

Plz reply fast

Thanks

Unless someone fixed the problem without updating the JIRA you can't use variables in those places... it looks like you can, but you can't. Some developer activated variables for those fields, but forgot some things ... so if you just hardcode the values they should work.

Regards,
    sven

Default JNDI connection problem

The main error we are facing in Kettle is as following :-

I am not able to understand timings of connections made between pentaho-kettle and database. I have created an ETL and when I am pressing "Verify this transformation" button in Kettle it is running fine, but the problem starts if I press this button again after the first run & Kettle starts giving following error
    ===========================
    An error occurred:
    Error occured while trying to connect to the database
    Invalid JNDI connection <<DW name>> : IO Exception opening socket to server 172.21.213.151 on port 50002. The DB2 Server may be down.
    ==========================
    At this point of time even if I try to test connection on "Database Connection" tab it gives the same error.
    ETL start working fine again after nearly 2 minutes. I have tried tracing the connections formed from Database side by netstat command, and found that only 1 connection is formed when ETL is getting verified but as soon as verification is over, there are no connection on db. but still no new connection can be opened for next 2 minutes.
    Only to overcome above problem I wanted to create pool of connections but that is also not working in JNDI type db connection.