Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDF Report performance

Default PDF Report performance

Hi,

I have a dynamic tabular report with more than 620 pages. The query used to generate the data returns 4705 rows and takes less than 3 seconds to run. However, Pentaho Reporting takes between 20 and 30 secs to generate the report in PDF format when the database is in the same machine and almost 2 minutes when it's in a different server! I tried to delete all log4j.xml files but it didn't make any difference.

Does anyone know any means to improve these response times? I'd like to have a notion about how Pentaho Reporting works (if it gets the rows in the resullt set on demand while it renders the report, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Report-Processing is only 5% to 10% data processing and 90% to 95% layouting. So these numbers are not *that* unrealistic.

However, you did not say what version you use, so I insert my boiler plate text: Usually it gets better with later versions. (Especially if your version of the reporting engine is older than 0.8.9-7.)
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Where can I see the reporting engine version in a Pentaho installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Taqua View Post
    Report-Processing is only 5% to 10% data processing and 90% to 95% layouting. So these numbers are not *that* unrealistic.

However, you did not say what version you use, so I insert my boiler plate text: Usually it gets better with later versions. (Especially if your version of the reporting engine is older than 0.8.9-7.)

In fact, my version is 0.8.9.5.

Quote Originally Posted by monylulu View Post
    Where can I see the reporting engine version in a Pentaho installation?