Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Tutorial for Steel Wheels Market Analysis by Year

Question Tutorial for Steel Wheels Market Analysis by Year

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a tutorial of the Steel Wheels Market Analysis by Year.
    It seems to fit best to my seconed report, but I guess it's somewhat harder to create.

Is it possible to see the .report file somewhere or to read an howto for requirements like that?
    I can imagine that it uses kind of subqueries but I'm not sure.

Does anyone want to share her or his thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance.
    Bye, Chris
    Last edited by hammerwd; 02-02-2009 at 03:31 AM.

You can open the sample report xml files using the Report designer, there is an import option in the file menu. This will let you open published reports and should allow you to see how they work.

You may also need to use Pentaho Design Studio to open the .xaction file that comes along with the sample report to see what queries it does.

Or if your feeling really sadistic you can open both files up in a text editor and view the raw XML

Wil

Could you please point me to the file Steel Wheels Market Analysis by Year?
    I can't find it in my samples.

Besides, I've got an socket issue while trying to preview most of the sample data.
    My database is up and running on another host. I changed localhost to the IP and test connection works fine.
    Do you have some experience with socket errors?

java.sql.SQLException: socket creation error
    says an alert after pressing on preview.

Thank you.

its in pentaho-solutions/steel-wheels/analysis/analysis_customers.analysis.xaction

If you right click on the reports in the BI server there is a properties option which will show you the path to where the report.xaction is

Not sure about your socket exception I am afraid. I recommend you post about it in the Bi-platform section of the forum. You are more likely to get a useful response.

Wil

Thank you for your help.

But I'm afraid I can't open the demo files from the server.
    I always get an error:
    File can not be imported.
    Note that you can only import valid JFreeReport xml files.
    Could it be because I'm using Pentaho Report Designer 2.0.0?
    Maybe the files in my repository are just appropriate for an earlier version?

That example is not a pentaho report. Its a JPivot example. if you use the action sequence editor to open it rather than the report designer you should be ok.

Use the action sequence editor for .xaction files and the pentaho report designer for .xml files.

Wil

Default Found the next challenge

Hi,

it seems as if I'd find the next callenge:
    I can't use the Plugin Actionsequence.
    When I click on the appropriate button it says:
    the chosen operation is currently not available
    (an often found problem like here: http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/new.../msg36856.html )
    But I didn't find a Pentaho related result. Do you know anything on this point?

When I doubleclick on the xaction within the filebrowser I get this error:
    Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: The editor class could not be instantiated. This usually indicates that the editor's class name was mistyped in plugin.xml.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.pentaho.designstudio.editors.actionsequence.ActionSequenceEditor
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:402)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:347)

Could you please be so kind an take a short look at your plugin.xml.
    Does my seem to be wrong?

Code:
       <extension
             point="org.eclipse.ui.editors">
          <editor
                class="org.pentaho.designstudio.editors.actionsequence.ActionSequenceEditor"
                default="true"
                extensions="xaction"
                icon="icons/ActionSequenceModelFile.png"
                id="org.pentaho.designstudio.editors.actionsequence.ActionSequenceEditor"
                name="Action Sequence Editor">
          </editor>
       </extension>

Mine contains a lot more than that snippet you posted. But I have used the preconfigured package that's bundled with eclipse (and I have a feeling its quite old so probably needs to be taken with a pinch of salt I know its not the 2.0 version)

Any way with those warnings, see the attached. If this keeps giving you trouble try asking in the action sequence editor section of the forum. More likely to be some one who knows what they are on about in there

Wil
    Attached Files Attached Files