Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Combining many XML files

Default Combining many XML files

Hi,

I have to combine about 100 xml files.
    They don't have a DTD, so they are not valid. I just want to combine them as flat ascii files and create one big XML file from them.

Is this possible with Kettle? All data inputs I've tested seemed to be not sufficient.

Thank you in advance.
    Bye, Chris

If you throw enough time and money at it, absolutely yes... It all depends on what exactly you want to do... preliminary answer would be "maybe not in an easy way" (if you've tried all of the input steps).

PDI works as a hub-and-spoke tool.... data comes in, get transformed into rows which gets processed and the output is converted again from rows to output.

Regards,
    Sven

Can I just transform rows?
    No complete (or no well structured) documents / informations?

In transformations all work on rows... else you would not be able to move data from 1 step to the other.

In jobs you have a few job entries that work on complete files (stylesheet transformation e.g.), but that's a grey area.

Regards,
    Sven

Thank you for pointing me to the jobs.
    It seems to be better, but maybe not sufficient. I'm used to Talend, there I have the possibilities to combine files, create new folders, zips and so on.
    Sometimes I need more features for doing automation in filesystems / exports and so on.
    It's not that straight kind of ETL for DataMining.

I hope to get used to PDI soon.

zips and create new folders we have as well ... for the rest Talend and PDI differ on some things qua "design". One is probably better in 1 setting, the other in other settings

Regards,
    Sven