Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Forum Restructuring and Help Wanted

dmoran Guest

Exclamation Forum Restructuring and Help Wanted

This thread is a continuation of the Forum Overcrowding/Tidying Up thread. It was started to help people understand the forum changes, track the progress of the changes and to get community involvement in the implementation.

The main reasons for restructuring is that the current forum layout is confusing and people are having trouble figuring out what kinds of questions to post where. For more history, refer to Forum Overcrowding/Tidying Up

The most noticeable change is - instead of having 13 random top level groupings, there will be 6 groups based on type of discussion. The groupings will be Pentaho Users, Pentaho Developers, Community Projects, Non Technical, International and Blogs.

Forums are identified by a unique id which will remain unchanged even if it is moved. I believe that existing URLs, subscriptions and RSS feeds will continue to work.

Some questions/issues:

I'm not sure how to clean up existing forums like Data Integration / ETL or BI Server and Platform. We could move them under the Pentaho Users group since most of the questions are user questions and create new ones in Pentaho Developers. Clean up options are:
    1. Vote on threads that moderators can manually move to Pentaho Developers
    2. Bulk move "old" threads to an archive forum
    3. We could always "start over" by creating all new forums and put the existing ones under legacy.

Each forum has it's own users and personality. We should make this decision on a forum by forum basis and implement what makes sense.

The Help Wanted Part:

I'm looking for volunteers to become moderators of specific forums and help during and after the transition. Please respond to this post if you are interested and tell me which forums you are interested in moderating. I especially need people to volunteer for the international forums. Maria Roldan and tdidomenico, I already made you moderators of the Spanish forums. I will create a new post that talks more about the International forums.

Doug

dmoran Guest

Exclamation The New Forum Structure and status

The new forum structure that we will be implementing. I will update it to track progress (complete is blue). Reply to this post if you have any comments or concerns.

Pentaho Users
    Questions and discussions related to evaluating, deploying, administering, and using prebuilt Pentaho applications . This includes creating content such as reports, transforms, schemas, etc. It does NOT include development topics like contributing or building from source.
    BI Platform: BI Server (PCI), Pentaho User Console, Admin Console, Solutions, Design Studio, xactions...
    Dashboards: JSP/AJAX Dashboards, Google Maps, Widgets, Portals...
    Reporting: Report Designer, Adhoc reporting, designing reports and charts, publishing to server...
    Pentaho Data Integration [Kettle]: ETL jobs, ETL transforms, Spoon, Carte...
    Metadata: Pentaho Metadata Editor, MQL, Publishing...
    Analysis [Mondrian]: Configuration, Schema Workbench, OLAP4J, Spreadsheet Services, Aggregation Designer, JPivot, Halogen...
    Data Mining [WEKA]: Configuration, algorithms, classification, regression, clustering, association rules, visualization...

Pentaho Developers
    Questions and discussions related to building from source, modifying code, creating components or plugins, deployment into new environments,
    contributing to the open source projects etc.
    BI Platform Developer: Dev and build topics related to integrating Pentaho applications, creating platform components, Design Studio, commons projects...
    Reporting Developer: Dev and build topics related to reporting, adhoc reporting, embedded reporting, classic and flow engines...
    Kettle Dev Mailing List: Dev and build topics related to creating Kettle Plugins, Spoon, Kettle Engine, Carte, Metadata...
    Mondrian Dev Mailing List: Dev and build topics related to Mondrian Engine, Schema Workbench, OLAP4J, Spreadsheet Services, Aggregation Designer, JPivot, Halogen...
    WEKA Developer: Dev and build topics related to WEKA

Community Projects and Incubation
    Projects sponsored and maintained by the Pentaho community and projects under early development. New forums are created after a development topic becomes too big for the originating forum and there is a project sponsor willing to move the idea forward.

New Analysis Client Tools: Halogen, JPivot mods, JRubik etc.
    Other Reporting Engines: Using and deploying Jasper Reports and BIRT
    JBoss Rules in the Platform: working group for adding JBoss rules to the Pentaho platform

Non Technical
    General questions about Pentaho, the Pentaho community, open source, development methodology...
    No technical product questions!

About Pentaho: Topics related to Pentaho Corporation, open source business model, Enterprise Edition, support, services...
    Community: Community related issues, infrastructure, planning, processes etc. It includes the communities of all the Pentaho projects.
    Events: Discuss and plan Pentaho community related events around the world.

International
    Non English language forums moderated and maintained by Pentaho community volunteers. Forum content and sub forums vary by
    language including language specific help, documentation and application internationalization.

Francais (French)
    Espanol (Spanish)
    Portuguese
    Italian

-Inactive-
    Deutsch (German)
    Nederlands
    日本語 (Japanese)
    Galician
    Ελληνικά (Greek)
    Pусско (Russian)
    Turkish

Blogs
    Matt
    Will
    Julian
    Thomas
    James

Archive
    Where old forums go to die
    Dev Sprints
    Project News (post to product forum)
    Feature Requests (JIRA)
    Solution Exchange
    Action Sequence Editor Plugin (Merged with BI Platform)

Platform 1.6 RC Testing
    Forum Migration Support
    Pentaho 1.2 Release Preview
    Installation Issues (post to product forum)
    Pentaho Cube Designer (inactive)
    Dashboard Designer (Merged with Pentaho Dashboards)
    Pentaho Workflow
    Documentation (post to product forum)
    Maven (inactive)
    Last edited by dmoran; 06-12-2009 at 12:24 PM.

dmoran Guest

Exclamation International Forums

In the original Forum Overcrowding/Tidying Up thread, Maria brought up a good point:

Internationalization (Keep but move off the front page)

The head of the forum says "Discussion for * members to participate in translation".
    The Internalization sub-forums (in particular the Spanish and French ones) are quite active, but the 99% of the posts have nothing to do with translation. They are regular forums, not written in English but in other languages. So I propose give them the right name, or create separate forums, one for each language.
    This is a very good point and I proposed that we just call it International and under each language we can let the forum participants decide how to structure it. I would like to have official moderators for each language. Please respond if you are interested and current moderators, please respond if you are interested in continuing. I think some have moved on.

Current moderators: Blue = confirmed
    • Francais - (None)
    • Español - Maria Roldan, tdidomenico
    • Portuguese - pmalves, fmarodin, Evanndro (Last Online 07-2006)
    • Deutsch - bamaer
    • Italian - aalberici, 4ndr34
    • Ελληνικά (Greek) - aman (Last Online 03-2007)
    • Nederlands - (None)
    • 日本語 (Japanese) - (None)
    • Galician - sinnexus (Last Online 10-27-2007)
    • Pусско (Russian) - (None)
    • Turkish - mssupertramp (Last Online 08-2008)
    Last edited by dmoran; 02-14-2009 at 03:07 AM.

Oops, I missed this post.

I'm in.

dmoran Guest

Question Hey, where did my post go?

The process of restructuring has started. No community posts should have been deleted. Their location may have been changed. We also have backups in case something bad did happen.

If you think posts have gotten lost or are having problems finding something important, respond to this thread or send me a private message. The forums that have been moved to Archive have also been closed for posting. I tried to move all active threads to the corresponding project forum before closing, but with 85,000+ posts I may have missed one Let me know of any good and active threads that should be resurrected from the graveyard.

So far the following has been accomplished:

• "Old Forum Archive" was renamed to "Archive" and moved to the top level
    • "General Forums" renamed to "Non Technical"
    • "Community Projects" was renamed to "Community Projects and Incubation"
    • "Internationalization" was renamed to "International"
    • "Pentaho Community Gathering..." was renamed to "Events" and was moved up 1 level to "Non Technical"

• "Development Sprints" was moved to "Archive"
    • "Feature Requests" was moved to "Archive"
    • "Solution Exchange" was moved to "Archive"
    • "Pentaho Cube Designer (INACTIVE)" was moved to "Archive"
    • "Maven" was moved to "Archive"
    • "Pentaho Workflow" was moved to "Archive"
    • "Documentation" was moved to "Archive"
    • "Other Reporting Engines" was moved to "Community Projects and Incubation"
    • "New Analysis Client Tools" was moved to "Community Projects and Incubation"

• "BI Suite Testing" was merged into "BI Server and Platform"
    • "Installation Issues" was merged into "BI Server and Platform"
    • "Action Sequence Editor Plugin" was merged into "BI Server and Platform"
    • "Dashboard Designer" was merged into "Pentaho Dashboards"

• "Agile BI" was deleted
    • "Project News" was deleted
    • "Workflow" category was deleted
    • "Documentation" category was deleted
    • "Testing" category was deleted

I'll let the dust settle for a few days before messing the project forums.

Doug

Sounds good, we needed that.

I also volunteer to be moderator in the Portuguese forums. Someone has to put order on those 1/month posts
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

i'd like to be a moderator in the Italian forum

dmoran Guest

You are all set. Let me know if you need anything.

Of course, I'm interested.
    mc

Quote Originally Posted by dmoran View Post
    Please respond if you are interested and current moderators, please respond if you are interested in continuing. I think some have moved on.

Current moderators: Blue = confirmed

• Español - Maria Roldan, tdidomenico

dmoran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Roldan View Post
    Of course, I'm interested.
    mc
    Great! Let me know if you want to change anything with the Spanish forum like adding sub forums, changing settings or description.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dmoran View Post
    Great! Let me know if you want to change anything with the Spanish forum like adding sub forums, changing settings or description.

Doug

If you agree, Maria, I'd suggest leaving the structure as it is for now. We can then decide about a new structure as we learn what kind of discussions take place.

I would however change the description to something like "Discusión en español sobre la plataforma Pentaho", instead of the current one about internationalization.

Cheers!

I was thinking of a very simple structure, like this: (translated, of course)

BI Server and Platform
    Analysis & Reporting
    Data Integration / ETL
    Non technical
    When someone doesn't know where to post, he/she will be able to post in the first (BI Server and Platform). As soon as the first gets unclear, we could think of reorganize it.

Your suggestion for the main description ("Discusión...") is OK for me.

mc

Alright, the structure seems simple enough. In that case, however, I'd like to also add a "Data Mining" subforum. I realize even the english forum has very low activity, but I really like Weka and I'd like to try and stimulate its use by the Spanish community

So the structure would be something like this:

Español
    (Discusión en español sobre la plataforma Pentaho)
    -Servidor y Plataforma de BI
    -Análisis y Reportes
    -Integración de Datos / ETL
    -Minería de Datos
    -No técnico

What do you think?

Cheers!

Super!

mc

Quote Originally Posted by tdidomenico View Post
    Alright, the structure seems simple enough. In that case, however, I'd like to also add a "Data Mining" subforum. I realize even the english forum has very low activity, but I really like Weka and I'd like to try and stimulate its use by the Spanish community

So the structure would be something like this:

Español
    (Discusión en español sobre la plataforma Pentaho)
    -Servidor y Plataforma de BI
    -Análisis y Reportes
    -Integración de Datos / ETL
    -Minería de Datos
    -No técnico

What do you think?

Cheers!

dmoran Guest

Tomás y Maria,

I created the sub forums as you requested - There are no descriptions so you may want to give me some of those. Also - I did not know where to put the posts from the current forum so I added them to "No técnico". If you prefer, I can put them in an archive forum or wherever you want. You should move any good current active threads to the forums they belong in.

Please verify that you have moderator permission in all the sub forums.

Gracias,
    Doug
    Last edited by dmoran; 02-18-2009 at 03:56 PM.

That's great, Doug!

I've started moving the existing threads to the corresponding forums. While doing so, I realized that there are enough threads about analysis and reporting to create them as separate forums. So the final structure would be something like this (I'm also including descriptions for the subforums between parenthesis):

Español (Discusión en español sobre la plataforma Pentaho)
    -Servidor y Plataforma de BI (Discusión sobre el servidor y la plataforma de BI Pentaho)
    -Análisis (Discusión sobre Mondrian, OLAP, herramientas disponibles y todo lo asociado al análisis de datos)
    -Reportes (Discusión sobre reportes y las herramientas disponibles)
    -Integración de Datos / ETL (Discusión sobre integración de datos mediante Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle))
    -Minería de Datos (Discusión sobre WEKA y todo lo referente a la minería de datos)
    -No técnico (Discusión sobre documentación, internacionalización y otros temas no técnicos)

Other than the added descriptions, the only change is the splitting of the "Análisis y Reportes" subforum into two (and sorry about that, Doug. I promise it's the last change, at least for a while )

Maria, please les us know what you think about these descriptions, and feel free to improve them

Cheers!

Gracias, Doug!

Everything looks fine.

I'll also begin to move active threads to the right sub-forum.

Tomas, What do we do with the remaining threads? We move them to the
    "Plataforma BI" sub-forum? Or create a sub-forum named "Archivo"?

We also should add a sticky note to explain this changes, and to remark the right use of the threads (something like this: http://forums.pentaho.org/showpost.p...7&postcount=53)

What do you think?
    mc

Indeed, a sticky post with guidelines will be helpful.

About the remaining posts in the Non-Technical forum, I'd just wait for Doug to split the Análisis and Reportes forums so we can move what's left where it belongs. Even though I don't think it's worth it to make a massive move of threads to an archive, I do believe that it may be a good idea to archive, for example, all posts more than a month old and with 0 replies, so we can get a clean start.

Cheers!

dmoran Guest

Ok - complete as you wish.

Just a warning - having more forums makes it more likely that posts will go to the wrong place and makes moderation more difficult. This is one of the reasons that we just got rid of so many forums.

Don't be afraid to ask for more changes, if this arrangement isn't perfect or doesn't work like you hoped, we can keep changing it until it is.

Doug

Yup, you're totally right. I hope the current structure will be the best compromise between mantainability and usability. (Otherwise we'll just come back crying for changes )

Thanks Doug!

Default PDI user forum

Could you please edit the link of http://kettle.pentaho.org/forum to the new destination (http://forums.pentaho.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135).

It is still linked to http://forums.pentaho.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69 which is no longer valid...

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

dmoran Guest

Ben,

Thanks for pointing that out. I created some redirects for those old URLs (I'll also fix the web site) but that may take a day or so.

The links should work again. If anyone finds otheres that were missed, please post them.

Doug