Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School project about BI

Default School project about BI

I'm wondering if it's possible to ask some questions about Pentaho's product, tools and future goals? I have asked some other BI vendors the same questions and would now like to involve OpenSource BI to my school project.

Is this the right place for interview question's?

/Amit

pstoellberger Guest

Sure, just ask

Default My questions for Pentaho.

What is the main difference between Pentaho and other vendors like SAS,BO,Cognos?
    Witch Pentaho functions and tools are most demanded by customers?
    What are the new trends in BI? Where is the Business intelligence heading?
    How many BI solutions have Penatho implemented this year?

/Amit

wow, he just copy/pasted all the questions of his homework
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

What is the main difference between Pentaho and other vendors like SAS,BO,Cognos?

Look at the sales literature and compare yourself.

I think you can infer this by the size of the forums - Certainly there are more posts in the ETL area, than there are in analysis for example.

Throw some related keywords into google trends and work it out for yourself.. I'm not sure trends is the right thing to be looking for here, dont forget Pentaho is quite young, and catching up at the moment rather than setting a trend.

Even if Pentaho did answer that it wouldnt give you the full picture because of all the open source users. But look at the number of downloads on sourceforge - it's not small!

Quote Originally Posted by codek View Post

Look at the sales literature and compare yourself.

I think you can infer this by the size of the forums - Certainly there are more posts in the ETL area, than there are in analysis for example.

Throw some related keywords into google trends and work it out for yourself.. I'm not sure trends is the right thing to be looking for here, dont forget Pentaho is quite young, and catching up at the moment rather than setting a trend.

Even if Pentaho did answer that it wouldnt give you the full picture because of all the open source users. But look at the number of downloads on sourceforge - it's not small!

Thanks for the information.

The main reason for these questions are to see Pentaho's point of view rather than finding out for myself. This was more like an interview to see what Pentaho thinks about BI and the future.
    These are the same questions I have asked other vendor's and then sum up to a result.

/Amit

The forum is not really the place to solicit a response directly from Pentaho - the forum is primarily community members.

You could try mailing them direct, you may get a reply, you may not. Did you get a reply direct from any of the other vendors? I'd be surprised!!

Quote Originally Posted by codek View Post
    The forum is not really the place to solicit a response directly from Pentaho - the forum is primarily community members.

You could try mailing them direct, you may get a reply, you may not. Did you get a reply direct from any of the other vendors? I'd be surprised!!
    Thanks Codek,

Youre right, forums might not be the right place for this type of questions.
    About the other vendors I just e-mailed them and they invited me to a interview in there office right away.

/Amit

pstoellberger Guest

What vendors would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by pstoellberger View Post
    What vendors would that be?

Sas Institute, MicroStrategy and BO