Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Thread Locking issues

Default Thread Locking issues

Hey -

I'm running pentaho 3.1.2 and trying to run several transforms that are processing about 20 mil records. Sometimes, they run thru just fine, but other times they just freeze up at random spots. the input output will end up looking like this:

0/75000
    75000/75000
    75000/75000
    75000/0
    0/0
    0/0
    0/0

the step that gets locked up seems to be random - I've had it be dummy steps, regex steps, and the get environment variables step. I've already played with # of rows in rowset. Any other ideas? I'm running this on carte in linux

I've done some additional analysis and this seems to only happen under linux carte - if I run the same series of transforms in kettle on windows things don't seem to freeze up.
    Last edited by keithpsu; 02-27-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Try updating your Java runtime environment or provide more information.

In windows I'm running 1.6.0_02 (kettle) and in linux I'm running 1.6.0_06 on top of red hat (kernel version 2.6.18-8.e15). What additional information do you need?

How much memory do you have

a) on your windows host
    b) on your RedHat host

Just curious......
    Pentaho Data Integration CE 5.3.0.x
    JDK 1.7
    OS X Yosemite version 10.10.x
    MySQL 5.5.37
    Amazon Redshift
    Pacific Standard Time

Redhat is famous for pushing GCJ to the limit (as well as messing up java all over the world). So please double check that you don't have any old GCJ stuff in your classpath, check JAVA_HOME, etc, etc.

If all that checks out, create a test transformation and run it in a loop until you hit the problem. Share the transformation so others can test for it.

So, just an update, it turns out moving to an IBM JVM fixed the issue - don't know what the deal is with the Sun Linux 1.6 JVM, but I'm good to go now.