Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle DB2 JDBC driver charset question.

Default Kettle DB2 JDBC driver charset question.

Kettle DB2 JDBC driver can't support databases created with codepages other than UTF-8 and ASCII.
    Is this a limitation of the DB2 JDBC dirver?

No intended limitation on PDI side (out of my head) ... what error do you get?

Regards,
    Sven

"Codepage not supported", you can try it use the DB2 Express software from IBM.

And which code pages are you trying to use on client and server. And which ones of those are installed.

Or from the IBM DB2 manuals:

Java applications using the Java Universal Type 4 driver don't need a DB2 UDB client installed at the client machine. The universal JDBC driver client sends data to the database server as Unicode, and the database server converts the data from Unicode to the supported code page. The character data that is sent from the database server to the client is converted using Java's built-in character converters, such as the sun.io.* conversion routines. The conversions that the DB2 Universal JDBC Driver supports are limited to those that are supported by the underlying Java Runtime Environment (JRE) implementation. For CLI and legacy JDBC drivers, code page conversion tables are used.
    The above is a DB2 restriction, not a PDI one... I remember once working around it by installing a DB2 client and using it via ODBC. And that breaks down when you have an EBCDIC database... after which I had people do the extract on the mainframe and send me flat files

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 03-18-2009 at 10:35 AM.