Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected error occurred while launching entry

Older versions of your database used JConnect as driver, newer versions use JODBC... Kettle 2.4 probably had JConnect, 3.x doesn't.

In short I doubt your ".so" is in the correct place, but I can't comment further on that.

Regards,
    Sven

Yes, may be I am doing something silly here.
    But just to clarify, the same job works in 2.4 and connects to DB using ianywhere.

I have just cleared up all the 2.4 jars and added 3.1 jars in libext folder long with bin folder updated and using 3.1 kitchen.sh to execute jobs. I haven't touched the 'so' file.

Regards,
    Neuron

Don't mix PDI installations...

And if required always move stuff from an old to a new version, not the other way around... so

1) start with a fresh 3.x version and copy the jars, .so files you need from 2.x in there
    2) Make sure you got the right jar/.so file.... possibly the required .so also changed in the meantime.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks for replying.

I don't know what i am missing, now when I revert back to 2.4 kettle environment on the same machine the connection is working.

I haven't touched the 'so' file, so I guess somewhere in kitchen.sh the LIB PATH for 'so' file is not being initialized.
    Regards,
    Neuron

I did not get any expert comment on:

1. If I try to run kitchen.sh with an '&' (background) towards end, I was facing exceptions. Please can you provide your comments. Well after removing '&' it succeed.

Regards,
    Neuron

Hi Mattcasters, Sven,

The database connection issue got resolved once I added the "-Djava.library.path" parameter in kitchen.sh while executing 'org.pentaho.di.kitchen.Kitchen'.

Well I faced one more issue which got resolved, but I need your expert comments for the confirmation:

- In Step -> 'Text file output', I am creating csv files. In the 'Content' tab of this step I instruct create csvs files with delimiter/separator as comma(,) and enclosure as double quotes (“). ‘force the enclosure around fields’ check-box is not selected.
    • In 2.4 the csv files gets created properly where if there are commas in fields then only it enclosed them with double quotes.

• But in 3.1 it was not happening, unless when I selected ‘force the enclosure around fields’ check-box then it started enclosure around the column entries.

- If I try to run kitchen.sh with an '&' (background) towards end, I was facing exceptions. Well after removing '&' it succeed.

Please can you provide your comments.

Regards,
    Neuron

For the csv things... yep things changed between 2.4 and 3.x . People couldn't agree on what a proper CSV file was with regards to escaping. So after several JIRA's it was changed in its behaviour.

Note that there is another step available called csv output, and there's also another "(super) csv output" plugin available, which does it yet in another way

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks Sven for the clarification.

The good thing is with both the changes as I mentioned in this thread (related to job and transformations) things are working for me.

Well I want to clarify one more concern, there are many jars in 'libext' in particular directory structure like pentaho, JDBC, webservices, web, spring, mondrian, jfree, commons. My question is if I copy all the jars from this directory structure and copy in libext directly, do you see any issues?
    I know these are just the jars and that they need to be in classpath when we execute the kitchen.sh or kitchen.bat. I may be silly in asking this but I want confirmation from experts.

Regards,
    Neuron

You can look at the scripts... they set up libext and the defined subdirectories of libext as part of classpath. So if you want to move the jars from the subdirectories tom the libext root you can... but why would you

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks Sven. Well yes that's true. Just as always wanted confirmation from you.

Well I forgot earlier in the flow of other things, as 3.1 as the requirement to have 'Name of the Job' entry populated. Are their any requirements to have the 'Name of the Job' entry unique. For eg: If I have 20 jobs then are these 20 jobs need to have unique 'Name of the Job' entry?

Regards,
    Neuron