Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Weird Problem in Preview Feature (3.1)

Default Weird Problem in Preview Feature (3.1)

Hi,

I am facing this strange problem while previewing any transformation in the 3.1 version. When I set the "Number of rows to preview" variable to 10 and launch the preview does return 10 rows as output but if I look at the "Step metrics" tab below in the "Execution Summary" window it shows that it is still running and the time, Speed (r/s) and Input/Output variables keep changing and when I try to Stop it the window just freezes and I have to kill the whole thing and restart a new SPOON session. This has happened for more than 5 times in the last 2 days since I have been testing.

Am I doing something wrong while previewing? My problem is how am I suppose to measure the performance of each step if these variables in the "Step Metrics" keep changing?

Thanks,
    SJ

Default A bug in 3.1 ?

This "STOP the running transformation" option is really frustrating. Every time I am trying to stop a transformation it freezes the whole session and ultimately I have to kill it and restart another session. Is this a bug in 3.1 coz I never faced this problem in 2.4 so frequently?

Is there a way to resolve this issue?

-SJ

pstoellberger Guest

This JIRA case could be related to your problem: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-1591 ? At what step do you do the preview?

Yeah, the JIRA ticket represents a similar problem as of mine. This happens every time I try to stop the preview irrespective of what step I am previewing. In this particular case I was previewing the last step where I insert the data in a DB table using Table Output Step.

Thanks,
    SJ

I think it's caused by a slow database connection. They don't listen to the cancel command and keep running queries until finished. This causes the freeze.

Also after it has already generated the 100 rows that I was trying to preview the transformation for, why does it still keep processing the rows after that? I mean if it didn't keep processing then I wouldn't have to use the STOP option anyways. Is this a bug too?

-SJ

You are just confused. Since a while now, transformations can be pauzed.
    After a preview you can request to preview more rows, remain pauzed or stop. Just pick either.

Default Same here

This is also happening to me, I'm not confused.

I run a preview, get the rows I want, notice something I need to fix, then I click the "stop" button, and Spoon freezes up. It's not a slow db connection since i'm running with a local DB.