Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Should I be using Kettle to do this?

Default Should I be using Kettle to do this?

My uncle volunteers at a not-for-profit accounting/financial firm, and recently came to me wondering if the following scenario is feasible:

His "clients" (other non-profits) often come to him with Income Statements, Balance Sheets, Cash Flow statements, etc... in various formats; often-times PDFs (scanned from a printed document). He was looking to utilize some software/combination of software to accomplish the following:

1.) Generate data (excel, database, etc.) from scanned PDF using some sort of OCR software.
    2.) Utilize Pentaho Kettle to read in the generated data and calculate a number of standard ratios from it.
    3.) Output the ratios to a standard format - excel, pdf, etc.

Should Kettle be used to do this? I've been experimenting with the software lately, and this application of it feels far too specific for it to be utilized effectively (for example, the calculator seems to only accept 3 field values in calculations).

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance!

Today Kettle does not generate output to PDF.
    For the calculations I think that the step "Formula" (Kettle 3.2 RC1) will meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by leandroconcon View Post
    Today Kettle does not generate output to PDF.
    For the calculations I think that the step "Formula" (Kettle 3.2 RC1) will meet you.

Trying out formula, seems like it could do what I need it to do; thank you for the suggestion.

However, the formula never "saves" - once I enter it in (even something completely trivial, such as "1+1" or ""hello"", I click okay, and then nothing shows up under the formula column. Am I doing something wrong?