Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Help for Kettle/spoon newbie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help for Kettle/spoon newbie

The story so far - I'm brand new to the product and trying to get a working system up and running. I’ve installed the BI Server and after running the start script (this is on Linux by the way) with no config changes from me I can access the Admin web console immediately. Also when I access the User console it appears to connect to the same repository (I can see the SteelWheels dataset), so apparently no config required for that either. So far so lucky.

I’ve now installed Kettle and when I connect to Spoon the logon screen doesn’t give me a repository option – just a username and password. When logging in without a repository the repository wizard option is greyed out in the menu . The documentation just shows a Spoon login screen shot with the repository field available. So it’s not obvious how to go about this. It’s also not obvious where to go to get information that will help.

Can anyone suggest where I can find the information that I need to install/configure for an absolute newbie on a fresh install?

Thanks

Simon

Did you see a welcome page when you started Spoon?

Default Yes I can see the pretty flower

Hi

Thanks for the prompt response.

I get a welcome screen then a login screen that asks for a login name and password, but no field for a repository is displayed. I don;t have a user name and password (I found a user guide that suggested admin/admin would work but it doesn't - I guess I need a repository?).

I can press a button marked "no repository" and that gets me in, but as I said, the wizard option to create a database connection is greyed out, which seems strange. If I select the Repository->Connect to repository menu option it brings up the original login screen, but again no field for a repository name. So I don't see how I can connect if I can't create a connection....

OK Great. On the welcome screen there is a big "Get Started" link.
    What happened when you clicked on it?

Point taken - that leads me to some intro lessons.

I clicked on the icon as shown in the 'create db connection' lesson There are four choices on the menu (transformation/job/db connection/slave server). However when I select db connection nothing happens.

Default correction...

Matt

Nothing happened when I clicked db connection while your "getting started" page was displayed, but after I clicked the transformation option on that menu (and a dialog was displayed) and THEN clicked the create db connection option, the connection dialog came up as in your demo. So something strange there...

Is there a database or dataset that is installed with the BI server that I can connect to - if so is the connection information documented?