Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: CDF and security

Default CDF and security

I've just started playing with CDF and I firstly wanted to say Awesome.. It's potential seems limitless.

The biggest advantage for me is removing the need to use the 'Prompt/Secure Filter' xaction. With that in mind I started looking into porting all my parameterised reports to CDF. Unfortunately I hit a road block fairly early.

At the moment I use the 'principalName' security input in my xaction sequence to filter the data a user can see. (see http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Serv...tion+Sequences). I actually use it in the SQL used to generate some choices when prompting the user.

i.e. The action sequence looks like this
    1. Get a list from the DB using the principalName in the SQL
    2. Prompt the user to select some choices using the returned result set
    3. Run the report

I can't see how this is possible in CDF?

It is possible to get any of the security objects defined in the above link?

Absolutely.

Just get the list of the values you want to include in the report from a xaction - and in that xaction use that principalNames.

If you're using MDX, you can just define the role as a session variable and it will be passed to every mdx query
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Thanks for the quick reply. After reading it I had a closer look at the documentation and now see that some components can take an xaction. The first component I happened to look at was autocompletebox which doesn't take an xaction, hence my question.

The auto complete box looks like a great component, any chance of that being able to use an xaction?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by peterox; 05-19-2009 at 06:02 PM.