Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Action sequence with one transformation but multiple steps

Default Action sequence with one transformation but multiple steps

Hi Folks,

I am creating a report as an action sequence using Penthao design studio. The action sequnce has the following

• A kettle transformation TX with multiple steps
    • Report1 which gets its rows from step A of TX
    • Report2 as a subreport of Report1 and gets its rows from step B of TX
    • Report3 as a subreport of Report1 and gets its rows from step C of TX

Pentaho design studio allows a user to select only one step as the output from a Kettle transformation and give it a name. I need to capture the output from multiple steps and name them differently so that each name can be used by a report. I did not find a way how I can do this.

One alternative that I have is to copy the transformation TX into multiple transformations TX1 and TX2 and then give the desired name to the step that a report is interested in. However this incurs 3 times the run time as it needs to run the same transformation thrice which I feel is very expensive in my case.

Any suggestions as to how I can solve the problem

Thanks
    Sreekanth

That use-case is a bit to special to be covered by our system by default. However, Kettle is flexible, and one way blocked means there are only a million ones left to try

As you said that runtime costs are high, why dont you just dump the data into a temporary table or file for the second and third step. This way, the separate transformations needed for the second and third dataset would be a simple "read from file and dump to report" kind and thus blazing fast and not expensive at all.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.