Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Shared objects / Concepts in new metadata?

Default Shared objects / Concepts in new metadata?

Hi,

I'm back working on metadata for the first time in ages, i must say the existing tool does rock - i can make minor changes very quickly

Of course; It does have it's constraints!

I raised this a while ago:

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PMD-323

And wondered whether it's worth consideration for the new stuff thats currently being worked on?

Basically 2 things - the concept of a shared business table which you can use across multiple xmi files.

Also the ability to have a single defintiion of your concepts across the whole platform.

My use cases: At the moment I have 11 xmi files as 11 different models. They are separate files to ease deployment and test; The disadvantage is tweaking the mask on a concept means editing all 11 files!

Thanks,
    Dan

wgorman Guest

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your input. With the new metadata changes, we still have a concept of individual domains that contain phyiscal and logical layers. At this time there are no plans for domains to share metadata objects with one another. I understand your deployment issues, if you could update the case with that specific scenario, I think it would help describe the feature you are requesting.

I don't see a technical reason why there couldn't be cross domain sharing of metadata objects, it would just require some tweaks to the model.

Will