Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can't connect to MS SQL Server using Pentaho

Default Can't connect to MS SQL Server using Pentaho

Hi,

I am using Pentaho right now installed to a local computer and would want to create a data source that connects to a remote MS SQL server but I can't. I always get this error:

"Connection attempt failed: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC][SQLServer]Login failed for user 'admin'. "

I am using the following:
    driverClassName="com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver"
    url="jdbc:sqlserver://testServer;databaseName=testDB"

Admin user is already an administrator both in the local computer and in the server.
    I am not an expert in java so I am not sure on how to resolve this. Please help.

Thanks for all the help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...313100&x=5&y=6

This error message occurs if the SQL Server 2000 authentication mode is set to Windows Authentication mode. The Microsoft SQL Server 2000 driver for JDBC does not support connecting by using Windows NT authentication. You must set the authentication mode of your SQL Server to Mixed mode, which permits both Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

that resolved my problem. instead of using the "admin" username, I used the sa account of my server. btw, I am now using MS SQL 2005 and did the same thing and it worked.

thanks a lot for the help!

You may want to reconsider your reporting strategy. A report (or any other ordinary application) should never run with super-user rights. The report only needs read-permissions and definitly does not need the super-powers "sa" or "admin" grant.

We dont need to execute programms, install applications or delete all your data. So why do you allow that then? And remember: All report definitions contain the username and password in clear-text. So anyone who can read a XML file (and heck, even my granny can do that) can see your passwords. And can delete, install or simply have fun on your server.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

yep, got that!

for now, we're still in the process of evaluating pentaho and I'm the sole developer assigned to this. I'm using a SQL server dev environment installed in my pc only. we'll eventually use a user with read access only once we decided to deploy this to production.

I was able to connect my Report Designer to an MS SQL server but now I'm having problems: No data were retrieved when I tried to preview my report.

I verified the tables I used through query analyzer and they contain data I need. No matter what select statement I used still my query does not get any data.

any ideas why?