Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Adding the current date/time to the stream?

Default Adding the current date/time to the stream?

What are my options for adding a field containing the current date and time to a row? My transformation updates a DB table, and I'd like to note when a row was last changed.

I'm using a SQL2005 database, is there a way that I can pass the GETDATE() sql function through, similar to this raw sql "UPDATE myTable SET LastUpdated = GETDATE()"? Or, is there a way to use the Add Constants step to add the current date to the row?

You can use the "Get System Info" step.

Perfect, thanks.

What's the difference between "system date (variable)" and "system date (fixed)"?
    I'm assuming the following:
    I'm updating 100 rows, one row at a time, if I use fixed each row's LastUpdated column will contain the same value. If I use variable, then each row will have a unique value based on the actual time of update.

Fixed is the start date/time of the transformation.
    Variable is the current time when the row passes.

I realize this is an old thread, but is there any way to actually set a table field to a function (like setting a field = getdate()) instead of adding a field to the stream?

If you can't make it a default constraint, you will have to use an "Execute SQL script" step or something similar.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi,

I am new here.
    Regarding this problem, if I want to add new field which is date (current date), do i just simply add the 'Get System Info' step and it will insert new column to my table?

Thanks in advanced! ^^

Don't wait for "Get System Info" to alter your table structure.
    You must add fields to a table definition, before you can address them in a "Table Output" step.

Yes, I do have created the new field in my table, but it seems that when I use "Get System Info", nothing happened.

Or, I do it in wrong way. Any suggestion? Do I need any other step so I can get this "Get System Info" work?

Thanks for your time! ^^

I tried to use "Get System Info" step together with "Table Output", and when the etl process is running,
    it tried to insert into my target table (including the new field) but after that it aborted.

What make it aborted? Is there something that I missed out?

Thanks! ^^

Buenos días,

Yo tambien soy nueva aqui y tengo el mismo problema, tengo de entrada un fichero csv y salida una tabla sql, en la tabla le quiero añadir un campo con la fecha actual today, como debo hacerlo ya que no encuentro el get system info que comentaís aqui.

"Get System Info" step is located in the "Input" folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Siti Khadijah View Post
    it tried to insert into my target table (including the new field) but after that it aborted.
    What make it aborted? Is there something that I missed out?
    My crystal ball seems to be broken.
    Don't you have more relevant information?

Hint: What's in the log?

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    My crystal ball seems to be broken.
    Don't you have more relevant information?

Hint: What's in the log?
    Sorry for not showing you the log earlier. So, here there are.

Batch entry 0 INSERT INTO dim_goods_return_note_headers (olap_updated_at) VALUES ( '2013-03-11 10:03:16.895000 +08:00:00') was aborted. Call getNextException to see the cause.

at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.emptyAndCommit(Database.java:1494)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableoutput.TableOutput.dispose(TableOutput.java:647)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:69)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
    Caused by: java.sql.BatchUpdateException: Batch entry 0 INSERT INTO dim_goods_return_note_headers (olap_updated_at) VALUES ( '2013-03-11 10:03:16.895000 +08:00:00') was aborted. Call getNextException to see the cause.
    at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement$BatchResultHandler.handleError(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:2586)
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl$1.handleError(QueryExecutorImpl.java:459)
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1811)
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:407)
    at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeBatch(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:2725)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.emptyAndCommit(Database.java:1477)
    ... 3 more

the new field 'olap_updated_at' is getting the date/time from 'Get System Info' but it was aborted.

Thanks for your time!

Since Kettle uses parameterized queries, there is nothing wrong with the value "Get System Info" returns.
    Turn off "Use batch update for inserts" to see the real error message.
    Most likely a constraint on this table is violated.

I am trying to add the value of current date time in my target table field update_date through "Get system info" step but it showing an error as "field{created in "get system info" step} is required and could not be found"

Each step menu has action "Show input fields", so you can find out where you lost a field.

In input fied I am getting that field ..
    See I have one source CSV file having 25 columns and around 100 rows. My target table has 25+1 column with 26th column as update _date. I want to fill this column whenever a row is inserted in the table with the current date/time.

Iam using "Get system info " step to get the date/time and have mapped it to the target table. But when running the query I am gettin error.

Usually, timestamps are added in the database.
    Post the failing transformation if you need more help.

attached the file.
    my target table is in postgresql data base.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The "Get System Info" step adds its fields directly to the stream.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by arpit016 View Post
    In input fied I am getting that field ..
    See I have one source CSV file having 25 columns and around 100 rows. My target table has 25+1 column with 26th column as update _date. I want to fill this column whenever a row is inserted in the table with the current date/time.

Iam using "Get system info " step to get the date/time and have mapped it to the target table. But when running the query I am gettin error.

Same problem!!Any solution??

Easy: Same problem, same solution.