Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Multiple "Combination Lookup-Update" Steps referencing same DW dimension?

Default Multiple "Combination Lookup-Update" Steps referencing same DW dimension?

Greetings all.

Perhaps someone can clarify the remarks found in the documentation of the Combination-Lookup step found at http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...+lookup-update ?

Specifically:

1. In reference to "... is not updated concurrently" - is it OK to have two or more of these steps within the same transformation where both reference the same dimension table? After all, they would presumably be running concurrently, so unless there is a single synchronized instance, I suspect this might cause a problem.

2. In reference to "... by other transformations" - does this include sub-transformations (aka Mapping) called by a parent transformation? How about a parent transformation invoking two different mappings, each containing a step that references the same dimension table?

I am hoping that more than one of these steps can be specified anywhere within a transformation or any sub-transformations (al referencing the same dimention table, that is) - otherwise it would force highly sequential processing of different data types that happen to share a common dimension.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify this!

-JB
    Last edited by jowen; 06-20-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Question

Hi Matt,

I am hoping perhaps when you find a few moments, you can clarify this issue of what are the exact limitations of referencing the same dimension from multiple steps.

Thank you in advance!
    Jonathan