Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentaho Cube - role setup not working

Default Pentaho Cube - role setup not working

I designed a cube and tried to set access controls for the cube by adding roles. But the access levels i designed is not reflecting when i viewed the cube via Pentaho User Console.
    Tools Used:
    ===========
    Pentaho Community Edition BI Suite 3.0 RC2
    Schema Workbench 3.0.4
    Datasource: HSQLDB
    Database: SampleData
    The steps i followed in the above issue is,
    Step 1:
    I designed a cube using Schema Workbench 3.0.4, which will list all the cities, the customer names in each of those cities, and number of customers in each city. This cube has a role called 'Admin' for which, the dimension 'Cities' has to be hidden.
    Schema for the cube is as follows,
    <Schema name="CubeTesting">
    <Cube name="CustomerCube" cache="true" enabled="true">
    <Table name="CUSTOMERS" schema="PUBLIC">
    </Table>
    <Dimension type="StandardDimension" foreignKey="CUSTOMERNUMBER" name="Cities">
    <Hierarchy hasAll="true" allMemberName="All Cities">
    </Table>
    <Level name="Country" column="COUNTRY" type="String" uniqueMembers="true" levelType="Regular" hideMemberIf="Never">
    </Level>
    <Level name="City" column="CITY" type="String" uniqueMembers="true" levelType="Regular" hideMemberIf="Never">
    </Level>
    </Hierarchy>
    </Dimension>
    <Dimension type="StandardDimension" foreignKey="CUSTOMERNUMBER" name="CustomerNames">
    <Hierarchy name="New Hierarchy 0" hasAll="true" allMemberName="All Customers">
    </Table>
    <Level name="CustomerName" column="CONTACTFIRSTNAME" type="String" uniqueMembers="false" levelType="Regular" hideMemberIf="Never">
    </Level>
    </Hierarchy>
    </Dimension>
    <Measure name="CustomerCount" column="CUSTOMERNUMBER" datatype="Integer" formatString="####" aggregator="count" visible="true">
    </Measure>
    </Cube>
    <Role name="Admin">
    <SchemaGrant access="none">
    <CubeGrant cube="CustomerCube" access="all">
    <DimensionGrant dimension="Cities" access="none">
    </DimensionGrant>
    </CubeGrant>
    </SchemaGrant>
    </Role>
    </Schema>
    Step 2:
    I published the cube into the pentaho server in the following path "biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\bi-developers\analysis" (username & password used to publish was 'Joe' & 'password' respectively)
    Got 'Publish successful' message as well.
    Step 3:
    Again, in pentaho user console, logged in as user 'joe' who has the role 'Admin'.
    Clicked on 'New Analysis View' button. It listed out the schema and cube i published in step 2.
    Step 4:
    In the analysis view window, it is showing the complete cube instead of hiding the dimension 'Cities' which was orginally expected based on my 'Dimsension Grant' setting in schema file.

If anyone can guide me on this, it will be really helpful. Or let me know if you need more details.
    Please advice.
    - Senthil Kumar.

New Analysis View doesn't enable roles by default. You can hack the xaction behind it, or deploy your own xaction with roles enabled.

Tom
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Default Pentaho - hacking xaction files for enabling roles

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your swift reply.

Can you tell me where i can find the .xaction file for my cube?

As I am not knowledged in this, pls help me on hacking the xaction file (or to deploy my own xaction file) to enable the roles.

- Senthil Kumar.

Default try

Try this:

biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\mondrian\analysis_view_template.xaction

I was speaking to Tom about it yesterday. Turns out Tom is completely insane.. Who would have thought?

Haza
    www.ivy-is.co.uk - Ivy Information Systems

Come join the non official Pentaho IRC chat room on irc.freenode.net in the ##pentaho channel

Default Roles not working

hey haza,

To enable roles, what i have to do in that file you have specified...? If you have any such sample xaction files for enabling roles, pls provide me.

Or is there any sample available (other than foodmart) to learn about setting access controls for cube?

- Senthil Kumar.

Senthil Kumar,

Have you got roles and OLAP permissions working at all? Or is this what you are trying to do? If so i can dig out some samples i made a while back to test this.

Cheers,

Harris
    www.ivy-is.co.uk - Ivy Information Systems

Come join the non official Pentaho IRC chat room on irc.freenode.net in the ##pentaho channel

hey,

thnx 4 ur rply. I am explaining my problem for you again. Pls help me on this.
    For past so many days, I am working on this Pentaho Community Edition BI Suite 3.0 stable version and Pentaho Schema Workbench 3.0.4. Uses HSQLDB SampleData as DB.

My requirement is, i need to setup access controls for cube ie) different users to see to different contents of cube based on their privileges.
    For ex, like 'Foodmart' sample in mondrian download, user with role 'California Manager' can see only 'CA' region details in the cube.

To achieve this, as a first step, i tried a simple scenario by designing a cube with two dimensions 'Cities' & 'CustomerNames'. This cube has a role called 'Admin'.
    <Role name="Admin">
    <SchemaGrant access="none">
    <CubeGrant cube="CustomerCube" access="all">
    <DimensionGrant dimension="Cities" access="none">
    </DimensionGrant>
    </CubeGrant>
    </SchemaGrant>
    </Role>

My intention here is, for users with role 'Admin', when they try to view this cube via Pentaho User Console (by clicking on 'New Analysis View' button or in any other possible ways), i have to hide one of the dimensions (for ex, as per the cube schema definition, i've to hide the dimension 'Cities') in the cube. For other users i've to show the complete cube.

So I designed the cube, published it into pentaho server. Opened the Pentaho User Console, logged in as user 'joe' (who is the user with role 'Admin' assigned to him). Clicked on 'New Analysis View' button. I then chose the schema from the schema list, but the complete cube is getting loaded instead of hiding the dimension 'Cities'.

Please note that in the above scenario, till the last i have not did anything related to 'role' setup other than defining the <role> tag in cube schema file. I don't know about the xaction files, how it is created automatically while loading the cube, why it is needed etc.
    But, I did noticed that while the cube is getting loaded, inside the Pentaho server, in a temp folder some <123...>.analysisview.xaction files are getting created.

To setup access controls for cubes & its contents, in what places i've to configure roles other than defining a <role> tag in schema file? What are those files and what are those changes?

As this task took more time for me, i have to come to a conclusion and need to submit a report on this. So please help me on this clearly as soon as possible.

Thanks.....!!!!!!!
    Senthil Kumar

I have the same problem. After creating role in Workbench and assigning it to user in PAC I can still see everything.
    How can I force this roles to work correct?

Hi, wich version of biserver are you using?.

Hi, it is 3.8.0