Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI Server

Talking PDI Server

Hi Everyone,

I was investigating some time ago the implementation of a PDI server / ETL Server, and I recall that there was a jira with some product specs suggested, but I cannot for the life of me find it.

I was curious as to whether or not this development had come to light (commercial or otherwise - from my end preferrably commercial). I am not going to be able to host the transformation 'server' on the same machine as the BI server, and I dont want to run another 'full' instance of the BI server to achieve an ETL server.

Does anyone have any info / update on this, and if they know the jira entry?

Cheers

The Frog
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Albert Einstein

pstoellberger Guest

ETL server = carte
    carte is a jetty webserver which can run transformation/jobs remotely (also used for clustering)
    more info @ http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...+Documentation

Default Not quite what I meant

Thanks for the reply, but te carte slave is not what I am talking about, nor is it any form of server - it has no control of its own, it is really just a slave.

What I am talking about is a dedicated application that runs transformations and would use carte slaves to execute them for example. I am pretty sure that I was clear about the 'server' part and carte most definitely does not fit that bill.

Any ideas anyone?

The Frog
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Albert Einstein

Smile Found It!

This is the jira I was referring to: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-342

It looks as though it is not yet in existence. Pity, it would be brilliant. Especially for multi-site operations.

The Frog

It's going to arrive in the coming months, Q3 or Q4 of 2009.

Smile Thats HELLA SWEET DUDE!

Matt, thats the best news I've had all day. I can hardly wait to slap it on a machine. Is it going to be a commercial product or CE or both? CE would be fine for me to prove the 'case' but commercial is necessary for corporate IT governance requirements where I work (I am sure you would be happy of course to sell this product, just trying to figure out your plans... - not the world domination ones).

Assuming the commercial version is on the heels of the development release, do you have any idea of costings?

Cheers

The Frog

Well, the responsibilities of the "Pentaho appliance" as we call it are still being discussed and roadmapped internally.
    However, we need it do to this sort of thing:
    - True "master" server for clustering
    - JMS listener and queue gateway
    - Extra repository functionality with own persistence layer
    - Continuous logging and monitoring of running jobs and xforms.
    - etc.

PDI-342 is a nice description but unfortunately it mixes all sorts of requests. It would have been better if each of these smaller items would have been described/spec'd out separately. That being said, the PDI Mgt Svc console in EE already does quite a few things that are asked for in PDI-342. I'm sure we can fill the rest with the appliance as a real dedicated service in the network to manage PDI.

As for EE or not: I have no idea yet. It will most likely be a architecture where the base is open and we plug in extra stuff for our EE users.

As for the pricing of PDI EE is concerned: I think you need to call your local Pentaho sales rep. I'm sure you'll find that these days the prices are more than reasonable :-)

Matt

Smile Ta :-)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info. I will try my local rep again. Last time I asked he didnt know anything about it. I will use the 'Pentaho Appliance' name and see if it rings any bells with him. It would be so perfectly suited to my multi-site environment and scattered data centres.

Thanks for the help Matt

Cheers

The Frog

Well Frog, he wouldn't know about it since it doesn't exist yet. I thought I was clear about that. I guess I wasn't.