Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Problem with using 3.1.x and 3.2 with the same user

Default Problem with using 3.1.x and 3.2 with the same user

Hi,

I am still using Kettle 3.1.4 and I looked into 3.2 to find an error for a customer. When I switched back to 3.1.4 I could not find any of my transformations and steps in my repository. The only thing I could see were my directories. This might have happened because I had both programs open at the same time, maybe it always happens. The solution that I found was to delete all files in .kettle directory except for kettle.properties. I had to reenter my repository connection, but afterwards everything was back to normal. I know that the repositories are different, but something must also be different about the files. So, if you also run into this problem, this seems to be the solution.

Bye

Holger

It *should* all be fine. Repositories.xml format wasn't changed in years ever since repositories were conceived since the PDI 1.2 days.
    So perhaps it's a locking issue somewhere/somehow. I know Windows can be nasty with exclusive file locks and all.

Just don't mess with PDI 4.0 and repositories ... yet. :-)

I was the sole user on both repositories at the time. So, I do not think it was a locking problem. I also retried accessing a number of times. Only when I erased those files, I was able to access my transformations and jobs again. Yes, the xml file format still looks the same.
    I got into the repositores and saw the directory structure, just no transformations and jobs.
    Last edited by Hymmen; 06-29-2009 at 05:29 AM.

Well, in general it's obviously a very bad idea to mix versions when dealing with central repositories. We even give an upgrade warning for the repository. Perhaps we should do this as well for the software.

I used the correct versions of the program to access the connected repository. Kettle 3.1.4 for an 3.1.x repository and Kettle 3.2 for an 3.2 repository.

The problem also remains, when I open 3.2.0, close it and then open 3.1.4.

Again, I don't recomment mixing versions, certainly not with the upcomming 4.0 release.
    I guess I would recommend setting a different KETTLE_HOME for each version.