Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: "Minimum" and null values

Default "Minimum" and null values

Hi all,

the Min aggregation function, in Group by step, returns null is there is a null value among those aggregated. If I ask for the Min "value" I expect to get the minimum among the values, not including null values. Is there a way to avoid it? I can't use "First non null value" each time, otherwise I couldn't aggregate more fields in the same grouping (grouped column should be sorted first). Or should I submit a JIRA case asking for a "Minimum (not null)" aggregation function?

Thanks,

Iuri

P.S. See attachment for examples
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by biuri; 06-30-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Default What does SQL say?

Hi Iuri

My guess is that you would still get null as it is the min value, but I have not tested this.

If you do something similar in SQL on a db table and get the same result then I would guess you'll have to filter out the nulls before you want to determine the null value.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Paul

Hi,

thank you for the reply. Actually it is not possible for my scenario, because filtering rows with null values in one field would cause deleting rows with non-null values in other fields (that I want to group). Other ideas?

Iuri
    Last edited by biuri; 06-30-2009 at 02:54 PM.

No one out there?.. I'm going for a JIRA then.

Facing the same problem here.

Group by step should be considering null values when looking for the minimum value, or at least it would be nice to have an option either to consider them or not.

You could implement a previous step changing the null value to a value that would be max, for example, ZZZ if it's a string column, or a string of 9 large enough if it's a number value, so it never returns the null value if there's another value in the aggregating group, and then perform the opposite operation to get the null value again in case that is the min value in your group.
    Regards
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Quote Originally Posted by STIG View Post
    Facing the same problem here.

Group by step should be considering null values when looking for the minimum value, or at least it would be nice to have an option either to consider them or not.
    Wasn't the whole topic about null being considered when looking for minimum value, but extra functionality was requested for an option to exclude null when aggregating minimum?