Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Question on new step "Execute a process"

Talking Question on new step "Execute a process"

Hi All,

I am looking for some insight into the brand new step "Execute a process".

I see in the wiki that it is very much like the "shell" step however I still have some questions :-)

Descriptions included below:

Process field ->The field name in the data stream that defines the process to start (shell script / batch file to start). Arguments can also be used.

Result fieldname ->This field includes the output stream of the process.

First question:

Do I need to add a field in my trans so that it can be populated with 'Result fieldname"? I think this field will be added by itself and it will contain a string representation of whatever the exit code was for the process? Is that correct? Or do I need to make sure that a field is available within the row so that it can be set to the string representation of the exit code of the process?

For a simple example if I wanted to use this to call tnsping:

1) I would make sure I have at least a row, perhaps gen 1 row
    2) Add a constant named "my_command" that has "$ORACLE_HOME/tnsping my_db_name"
    3) Add a hop to the new "Execute a process" step and set "Process field" = my_command
    and "Result fieldname" = my_exit_code

I should then be able to test this by adding a dummy step or say a JS step and placing Alert(my_exit_code) and hopefully it will have some return string that tnsping pushed back.

Is that more or less the way it should flow?

What happens if the process returns a -1? Will the output string just be "-1"?

Thanks

Kent

To follow up I put forth a test like I described above and recieved the following:

Unexpected conversion error while converting value [result String] to a Number

result String : couldn't convert String to number
    Unparseable number: "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnsping dssdev"

!
    ERROR 06-07 19:40:38,327 - Calculator.0 - Unexpected error :
    ERROR 06-07 19:40:38,327 - Calculator.0 - org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleStepException:
    Error while running the step

at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.calculator.Calculator.processRow(Calculator.java:184)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.BaseStep.runStepThread(BaseStep.java:2889)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.calculator.Calculator.run(Calculator.java:626)
    Caused by: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleValueException:

at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.getNumber(ValueMeta.java:1427)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.convertData(ValueMeta.java:3039)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.calculator.Calculator.calcFields(Calculator.java:598)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.calculator.Calculator.processRow(Calculator.java:165)
    ... 2 more
    Caused by: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleValueException:

at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.convertStringToNumber(ValueMeta.java:692)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.getNumber(ValueMeta.java:1380)
    ... 5 more
    Caused by: java.text.ParseException: Unparseable number: "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnsping dssdev"
    at java.text.NumberFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.row.ValueMeta.convertStringToNumber(ValueMeta.java:688)
    ... 6 more

Thoughts?

PDI 3.2.0-GA on Linux against Oracle 10g

Thanks

Kent

Smile Got it to run...

My issues was I was using the calculator step to append 2 strings. I thought that used to work ... oh well.

Anyways flipped it so a JS step is puting the strings together and getting the command I want to execute together and that is accepted and does run within the "Execute a Process" step.

:-)

Still looking for insight into how the results are returned though.

Also any thoughts on why when I run a shell serially like

my_shell

it works fine however if I issue

nohup my_shell &

The overall job exits with no errors however it never kicks off the shells?

Thanks

Kent

Hi Kent,

the "Execute process" run an input process string (process/bat file + Arguments) and return the "catched" outputstream (string).
    The output field will be added to the stream by the step and it's not the exit code :-)

Rgds

Samatar
    Samatar

Default Thanks! Is there any way to run those scripts in the background by chance?

Again thanks!

:-)

Question Passing Arguments

Quote Originally Posted by shassan2 View Post
    Hi Kent,

the "Execute process" run an input process string (process/bat file + Arguments) and return the "catched" outputstream (string).
    The output field will be added to the stream by the step and it's not the exit code :-)

Rgds

Samatar
    Anyone has succeeded passing arguments to a .sh file?

I'm trying to execute a script with the contents of a file as a parameter. It seems the element "Execute a process" can't recognice the whole route with parameters.

An example of the path generated by my transformation would be:

Code:
    file:///home/kktuax/kettle-jobs/Pruebas/proceso/proceso.sh 5
    Here's the error it gives:

Code:
    2009/11/11 18:04:59 - Execute a process.0 - ERROR (version 3.2.0-GA, build 10572 from 2009-05-12 08.45.26 by buildguy) : Because of an error, this step can't continue: 
    2009/11/11 18:04:59 - Execute a process.0 - ERROR (version 3.2.0-GA, build 10572 from 2009-05-12 08.45.26 by buildguy) : java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "file:///home/kktuax/kettle-jobs/Pruebas/proceso/proceso.sh": java.io.IOException: error=2, No existe el fichero ó directorio
    2009/11/11 18:04:59 - Execute a process.0 - ERROR (version 3.2.0-GA, build 10572 from 2009-05-12 08.45.26 by buildguy) : Cannot run program "file:///home/kktuax/kettle-jobs/Pruebas/proceso/proceso.sh": java.io.IOException: error=2, No existe el fichero ó directorio
    Here are the files used in the transformation so maybe someone could help: proceso.zip

Thanks

It is accepting the values...but the file "/home/kktuax/kettle-jobs/Pruebas/proceso/proceso.sh" does not exists.

Are you sure this file exists?

Quote Originally Posted by vlr View Post
    It is accepting the values...but the file "/home/kktuax/kettle-jobs/Pruebas/proceso/proceso.sh" does not exists.

Are you sure this file exists?
    /home/kktuax/kettle-jobs/Pruebas/proceso/ is the ${Internal.Transformation.Filename.Directory}

I placed the transformation and proceso.sh in the same directory.

how does "execute process" knows when the process is finished ?

Quote Originally Posted by kktuax View Post
    /home/kktuax/kettle-jobs/Pruebas/proceso/ is the ${Internal.Transformation.Filename.Directory}

I placed the transformation and proceso.sh in the same directory.
    Hi kktuax,

Could you try with file path which system used to refer the file (without file://)
    for example, I place my shell script file in the same directory as transformation.
    "/home/documents/my_trans/test.sh"
    then I put "/home/documents/my_trans/test.sh" in the content of row and run Execute a process.

It works for me.