Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Sub Report in Group Header - Null pointer Exception

Default Sub Report in Group Header - Null pointer Exception

Version :3.0.0.37222.RC2
    DB : Sybase

I have report with a number of sub reports on it.
    I have a couple in report footer - they work fine
    When I add one into a group header or item band, the sub report fails with nullpointerexception (below)
    If I move this sub report to report header, it works ok!

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks
    Daniel

Code:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.sybase.jdbc3.jdbc.SybResultSet.last(Unknown Source)
        at org.jfree.report.modules.misc.tablemodel.ScrollableResultSetTableModel.getRowCount(ScrollableResultSetTableModel.java:193)
        at org.jfree.report.states.datarow.ReportDataRow.isReadable(ReportDataRow.java:152)
        at org.jfree.report.states.datarow.GlobalMasterRow.setReportDataRow(GlobalMasterRow.java:100)
        at org.jfree.report.states.datarow.DefaultFlowController.performSubReportQuery(DefaultFlowController.java:209)
        at org.jfree.report.states.process.ProcessState.<init>(ProcessState.java:150)
        at org.jfree.report.states.process.BeginGroupHandler.commit(BeginGroupHandler.java:81)
        at org.jfree.report.states.process.ProcessState.commit(ProcessState.java:321)
        at org.jfree.report.layout.output.AbstractReportProcessor.processPaginationLevel(AbstractReportProcessor.java:769)
        at org.jfree.report.layout.output.AbstractReportProcessor.prepareReportProcessing(AbstractReportProcessor.java:433)
        at org.jfree.report.modules.output.pageable.graphics.PrintReportProcessor.getPageDrawable(PrintReportProcessor.java:257)
        at org.pentaho.reportdesigner.crm.report.preview.ReportPane$3.run(ReportPane.java:152)
    ------------
    Daniel Goodwin

Seems your JDBC driver does not like the way we treat it. Switch to the safe mode by setting the global configuration property
    Code:
    org.jfree.report.modules.misc.tablemodel.TableFactoryMode=simple
    To set the property, locate the file "jfreereport.properties" in both report-designer (./resources) and the platform (WEB-INF/classes) and add the line above. This will tell the engine to scale back on its efforts to utilize the driver's capabilities and simply copies all rows in memory as soon as we receive them from the database. As a negative side-effect, memory consumption goes up. As a positive side-effect, you may see a boost in the report-processing speed.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Excellent Taqua - That did it!
    ------------
    Daniel Goodwin