Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: setting JVM memory

Question setting JVM memory

Hi

Anyone out there that might know why executing spoon with OPT=-Xmx1024m works fine but using OPT=-Xmx2048m tells me that the JVM cannot start?

It's a Win 2003 Server (64-bit) SP2 running the 32-bit jre. It has 32GB RAM of which 26GB is currently used by MS SQL 2008.

Thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by PollieXmas; 07-08-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PollieXmas View Post
    Hi

Anyone out there that might know why executing spoon with OPT=-Xmx1024m works fine but using OPT=-Xmx2048m tells me that the JVM cannot start?

It's a Win 2003 Server (64-bit) SP2 running the 32-bit jre. It has 32GB RAM of which 26GB is currently used by MS SQL 2008.

Thanks
    Paul
    If I recall my CS classes, 64-bit would give you a lot more memory to address and therefore use.

So why are you running a 32-bit JRE on a 64-bit OS? Our sysadmins have setup 64-bit JREs on our Linux servers (64-bit) and we never ran out of memory.
    Pentaho Data Integration CE 5.3.0.x
    JDK 1.7
    OS X Yosemite version 10.10.x
    MySQL 5.5.37
    Amazon Redshift
    Pacific Standard Time

For discussion, see here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg21249894
    Specifically: "there is 1536 MB left that can be used for the java heap"

I know it's not really accurate for your environment, but I would expect that the 32bit JRE is checking that max.

Try either setting to 1536 or using a 64bit JRE.

Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I will investigate your suggestions.

When I first started out I could not get PDI to work on the 64-bit machine, but was still very green then. I'm now a little more comfortable with how to perform fault find in the spoon.bat file and will give it another try once I get some breathing space.

It was fine up to now with only 512m but I want to use "copy rows to result" 600k-900k rows which needs a little more than 512m ;-)

Regards
    Paul

Thumbs up Update

Thanks guys,

Got this working. My JVM is now running with 2G of RAM.

Regards
    Paul

Ps. For other newbies like me. You have to over-write the 32-bit file swt.jar with the 64-bit version of the file. The 64-bit version can be found here. http://wiki.pentaho.org:8080/browse/PDI-1881