Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: job is running twice in 3.2 after check if file exist

Default job is running twice in 3.2 after check if file exist

Hello All,

I'm seeing a little weird behavior, which i'm not able to understand.

I've a job like this

start -> shell script to genreate file list -> check if file exist -> then rest of the job (if success) or send error mail if false.

But for some reason it is executing the job twice after check if file exist. I don't get this.

See below for messages

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INFO 09-07 04:00:02,681 - Kitchen - Start of run.
    INFO 09-07 04:00:04,712 - Using "/tmp/vfs_cache" as temporary files store.
    INFO 09-07 04:00:05,006 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories XML file: /mysql/pdi-open2/.kettle/repositories.xml
    INFO 09-07 04:00:06,716 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Starting entry [findofferinputfiles]
    INFO 09-07 04:00:08,634 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Starting entry [Checks today offline files]
    INFO 09-07 04:17:29,869 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Starting entry [SuccessMail]
    INFO 09-07 04:17:30,187 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Finished job entry [SuccessMail] (result=[true])

>>> job should exit here after sending the success mail but it restart after the check if file exist

INFO 09-07 04:17:30,188 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Finished job entry [Checks today offline files] (result=[true])
    INFO 09-07 04:17:30,188 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Starting entry [Checks today offline files]
    INFO 09-07 04:17:30,188 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Starting entry [prepofferfileinfoload]
    INFO 09-07 04:33:42,074 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Finished job entry [Checks today offline files] (result=[true])
    INFO 09-07 04:33:42,074 - mainofflineloadfilesjob - Finished job entry [findofferinputfiles] (result=[true])
    INFO 09-07 04:33:42,256 - Kitchen - Finished!
    INFO 09-07 04:33:42,256 - Kitchen - Start=2009/07/09 04:00:04.985, Stop=2009/07/09 04:33:42.256
    INFO 09-07 04:33:42,256 - Kitchen - Processing ended after 33 minutes and 37 seconds (2017 seconds total).
    ------------------------------------------------------

I really don't understand that what might be causing this.

I highly appreciate it for any insight here.

Hi,

can you send a screenshot of your job please?

BR,
    Alioune.

Please see attached
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Matt, is this a bug in 3.2 ? Also why there are two separate options for

"check if file exist" and "file exist" -> Are they both same or different?

As per doc, they both sounds like same. Please let me know.

for the time being i'm going to take out the file exist check and then see how my job run.

Regards,

Again, allow me to deny that I am in fact, not psychic nor clairvoyant.
    Thank you,
    Matt

Default Job runs contents twice.

I experienced the same thing -- steps within the job were being ran twice (it appears that the Success step did not end the application).

I found that doing the following fixed the issue: 1) Within Spoon create a new job. 2) Then copy the contents from the old job to the new job.

Note: Interestingly, you cannot copy a Start step from the old job to a new -- empty -- job. If you try to do so, a message saying "You can only use the start icon once in a job" is displayed.

This fixed the problem for me. Looking back, the job that had the problem had been made by using windows to copy the file of another job that I had made a few weeks earlier. Perhaps it was the copying that led to the problem?

I bumped into this behavior too with 4.2.0.

I'm certain it's a bug in Spoon.

I found out that kitchen behaves like there were two hops between two job entries, and when I opened up the .kjb file in a text editor, this is _exactly_ what I saw. I deleted the extra hop, and the job run fine. You can read it in greater detail at http://tlfabian.blogspot.hu/2013/01/...on-kettle.html

Thank you ! this thread fixed my problem too and i spent 3 hours debugging the problem before i decide to google the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    I experienced the same thing -- steps within the job were being ran twice (it appears that the Success step did not end the application).

I found that doing the following fixed the issue: 1) Within Spoon create a new job. 2) Then copy the contents from the old job to the new job.

Note: Interestingly, you cannot copy a Start step from the old job to a new -- empty -- job. If you try to do so, a message saying "You can only use the start icon once in a job" is displayed.

This fixed the problem for me. Looking back, the job that had the problem had been made by using windows to copy the file of another job that I had made a few weeks earlier. Perhaps it was the copying that led to the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by alex2002usa View Post
    Thank you ! this thread fixed my problem too and i spent 3 hours debugging the problem before i decide to google the issue.
    I spent "only" two hours, before google, but after that I found culprit for this issue .

In fact, Kettle job allows you to make double hops which are invisible on the diagram but you can spot them in xml file. Otherwise you can delete and recreate hop by hop or recreate job as suggested...