Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: XLS Input Sheet Number instead of Name

Unhappy XLS Input Sheet Number instead of Name

I have seen this question a few times on the forum and have asked it myself, so trying to find out where this is at?

When will the option be available to select a XLS sheet based on the sheet number instead of the name.

The need is really simple. I get XLS sheets from customers once a month and each month they may/may not rename the sheet names. The format is always the same, but the sheet name is irrelevant. As such I need to read in sheet 0, sheet 1, etc. Since kettle insists on having a sheet name I have to use Apache POI externally before kettle to rename all the sheet names. (Pain in the ass)

I had a look at CloverETL and they have the option to use the sheet name or the sheet number, so I have moved my ETL over to CloverETL just because of this one issue. Since they also use JXL.jar, I know it is possible to do this.

Seems a shame to have to move away from kettle because of this one small item :-(

So, my question is when will this be available and if needed could we have a vote for it to be on the roadmap?

Thanks
    Des

We don't force people to use PDI

For requests... there is the JIRA system out there. And if you're playing with POI, you could have easily made the changes to the Excel input step.

Regards,
    Sven

Unhappy

Chicken and egg situation here...

You build it and I use it or I request it and you build it.

Yep, you right, you are not forcing me to use it and as such I can of course choose and yep, I know it is relatively simple to build based on what I did with POI.

Considering that it is a shames not already been incorporated, as is is so simple.

I'll put the request in Jira

Thanks
    Des

Hi Des,

As far as we're concerned : if it's not yet in JIRA, no-one asked about it before. As far as Pentaho is concerned, if you're not a customer, the JIRA case doesn't have any priority whatsoever.

Please note that it's also possible to read ALL sheets by simply leaving out the list of sheets. In that case you simply have to specify the start col/row for all sheets.
    As such, you could count the sheet number yourself with a small piece of JavaScript I guess.