Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Portable PDI/Kettle

Question Portable PDI/Kettle

Hi All,

I have installed PDI on my portable HDD and pointed it to the portable version of Java installed on my HDD. This allows me to plug my HDD in any (at the moment) windows machine and work with PDI without java having to be installed on the host machine I'm using.

What I would like to do next and where I'm getting stuck is to make PDI adhere to the PortableApps standards whereby it does not need files stored on the host machine, nor leave any files behind after it has been used on that machine.

There are a few utilities that assist in this process but I've been unable to get it working. http://portableapps.com/node/19188#comment-122790 (search for Pentaho in the thread).

If there's anybody here for whom this is important and who understands the spoon.bat file, can you please have a look at what I've done to see where I'm going wrong?

It is possible to move the .kettle and .pentaho directories onto the machine at startup and off again when it terminates, but I'm not even getting that far. I believe that I'm still missing one or two settings. My first thought was that I'm missing the JAVA_HOME setting, but my spoon.bat that was modified to use the portable version of java runs fine without JAVA_HOME being set.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Paul

My suggestion is to just create a .kettle directory on your portable drive and use the $KETTLE_HOME environment variable to tell PDI where it should be looking.

e.g.:

<portable drive>\portable-java\
    <portable drive>\pentaho-data-integration\.kettle\

In the spoon.bat (and .sh and pan and kitchen possibly) you set JAVA_HOME to the portable-java path and set KETTLE_HOME to "<portable drive>\pentaho-data-integration\"
    Fabian,
    doing ETL with his hands bound on his back

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Fabian,

I will be making that change to my spoon.bat file which is a step closer.

The PortableApps menu does not yet support launching .bat files

Will I be able to use kettle.exe in stead? I've never been able to figure out the difference between the two.

Thanks
    Paul

That will be hard. The .bat file makes sure you have all the proper files in your java classpath (those provided with PDI) and that certain environment variables are handled correctly.
    At least that's the behaviour of spoon.bat on Linux
    Fabian,

How "portable" can this be if it only works on Windows?
    And if it only works on Windows, why not simply double click on a program to launch it?

The "portable" in this case is actually "to go". Portable Apps is supposed to be software you can deploy on an USB stick and carry it with you - on your keyring or something.
    So it might be okay to only work on Windows to start with.
    Fabian,

Arrow

hi,
    not the case with portablility but i am searching for the same issue of defining the .kettle folder some where not at default place (c:/..userlogin/.kettle) but to have it some other location ,

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread...d=1#post218174

just plz have a glance with this post, some thing similar to current post, probably it helps many searching for such requirement,

regards
    Vishwanatham

Default Universal Apps

Hi Matt,

The ultimate goal of portable apps is to eventually have universal apps. Not being part of the inner circle I'm not sure how far away from this goal they are.

Granted browsing to the .bat file and clicking on it is acceptable, however being able to launch it from the portable apps menu where all my other apps are launched from is much simpler.

Maybe the new google (pc) o/s will unite us all

Regards
    Paul

If all you want is to run a *.bat file, why not fire up your favourite C compiler and make a Exe-file that runs that file.

A simple
    Code:
    system ("C:\\my-fancy-bat.bat");
    in your main(..) method should be enough.

*OR*

you could use one of the many Java-Exe-generators to build a tailored-to-fit exe file.

*OR*

You could look into the kettle/bin directory on the SVN server and there you may find a "Kettle.exe" file that has been generated with launch4j.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thanks Taqua,

It seems like converting it to an .exe is the simplest route to go.

Regards
    Paul