Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to built report from cube?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to built report from cube?

Hello.
    I'm using pentaho to automatize report generating with schedules.
    At this time i need to do a report from a cube.
    I know there there is the way of using cubes though JPivot. And it works great(nice tables and charts). Is there any way to make .xaction that makes an report like in JPivot from a cube and exports it in some formal like pdf or xls?
    Thanks for any help.

pstoellberger Guest

well you have several options here:
    1) create a report that displays what you want. you can use MDX + cube as datasource and choose the output format
    2) jpivot has a xls export function, maybe you can find out how to call this programmatically
    3) we're currently working on a new pentaho analysis tool (http://code.google.com/p/pentahoanalysistool/) that will be at some point able to export such reports. this will take some more time though

Thanks for quick reply.
    As about option 1) create a report that displays what you want. you can use MDX + cube as datasource and choose the output format.
    Than the cube using looses it's sense. As for me it's easier to use simple data source. I tried to do so and it works properly, but report designer tere is no way of simple vizualization from cube as JPivot has.
    Maybe someone knows the good way in this option 1) .
    As about option 2)jpivot has a xls export function, maybe you can find out how to call this programmatically.
    I didn't find tha way to automatize this. as i see the is the way of only manualy xls export.
    As about option 3)
    It would be great! But if someone knows some way to make to export such reports now...please post here.
    Thanks pstoellberger for quick and informative reply=)