Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho vs. MicroStrategy

Default Pentaho vs. MicroStrategy

Hi @ all,

I used to work with MicroStrategy 8 / 9 BI software, but I am always looking for new BI software - open source software in particular.
    I am just getting strated with Pentaho - but what I read and saw so far was very interesting and caught my attention.

Here are some questions somebody here might answer:

1. anybody who worked with both - MSTR and Pentaho - and can tell me some experience? - which software is more stable, which one is easier to handle... - no need to talk about licences
    2. I guess to create dashboards it is a need to create reports before - right?
    3. are there any interaktive widgets integrated? - like interactice bubble charts, etc? - how can I integrate widgets i created on my own (extern)?

Thanks a lot and best regards
    m.r.

Hi again,

maybe someone can tell me something about this:
    is there any pentaho dashboard demo available, which is similar to this one here
    http://www.microstrategy.de/digital-dashboard/demos.asp

or maybe someone can tell me, whether it is possible to create similar dashboards with pentaho - particularly the interactive bubble chart...

thanks a lot and best regards
    m.r.

Default pentaho dashboard demo

I am also looking for some pentaho dashboard demo.

Also, dashboard does not seem to be part of Community Edition like Kettle,Mondrian. But there seems to be CDF.
    Its a bit confusing to know what product is enterprise and what is not

Take a look at http://demo.pentaho.com
    It is the latest edition.

Hi,

to answer ananth question, CDF is a framework for building dashboards and is part of the community edition. With some javascript / html coding experience, developers are able to provide fully functional dashboards for their users.

Pentaho build a dashboard designer on top of CDF, which is not part of the community edition but only available with the enterprise edition.

Regards,
    Ingo