Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error with Formula step

Question Error with Formula step

Hi there!

I am doing some tests with PDI and it is really promising. However, I am stuck at that with problems with the formula step. When I try to edit the formula, clicking on the formula column, I get the following error:
    ERROR : Parse Exception : Parsing error in formula : Encountered "" at line 1, column 0. Was expecting one of: ... "(" ... "{" ... "+" ... "-" ... ... ... ... ... "null" ...

Does anybody have any tip to offer? I have tried it with 3 different PCs and the error remains. I am using the 3.2 version but also tried older ones without success.

Thanks,

Roberto

As this is relevant: what formula did you type in?

Please note that these are the same Formula expressions as used elsewhere in the Pentaho stack and as used by OpenOffice. (OASIS standard)

http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Repo...la+Expressions

Other steps exist to calculate, for example "JavaScript" (flexible), "User Defined Java Expressions" (fast!) and the "Calculator" (fast!).

Hi,

The error comes when I click on the respective field to edit the formula. So, at that time, no formula was yet submitted. Looks like an error in the formula editor interface.

Roberto

Use brackets [] to reference your fields

I've got a row with two String fields named aa and bb; if I want to concatenate both values I use this formula

[aa] & "/"&[bb]

Hope it helps.