Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: from bad to worse...

Default from bad to worse...

At the office we develop under windows 2000. Now someone decided to migrate to windows vista. We have the choice to continue working with w2000 if vista causes any problem with the software we run.
    My question is: Any of you have run kettle under vista? Any problems? Any suggestions?
    I have to choose. Despite I don't like w2000 at all, kettle run without problems. I don't have any experience with vista running any Pentaho's software.
    (I must say that this is a development environment, not production!)

thanks in advance,
    mc

Maria

I have Vista at home, but i don´t intall kattle yet. I will install today and tomorrow i will say what i think. About Vista x 2K . 2k is better at all. Vista is very heavy, slow and has many incompatibilities. In general, keep the 2k! But i will test kettle at home anyway and tomorrow i post here!

pstoellberger Guest

From my experience Kettle makes much more troubles in Win2k than on Vista (class path length etc)

I used to use it on Vista, and it ran fine... i just don't like the operating system and downgraded to Win XP :-)

Vista needs much more hardware resources than win2k, but its a little bit mroe up to date than 10-year old win2k

Go with Vista, the screenshots are much better ;-)

vista ok?????? here the machines were created in 1900 !!!!!! roldan...... please please...don`t be a dreamer... anyway you will need 1 gb only for vista + 1 or 1,5 gb for kettle and 1 more for your writing hobby

You have to be joking, you can run Spoon with 32MB or possibly even less.

I know , I know Matt.... is only a joke.... the thread is very funny to me.... ...... roldan make me laugh again.. jajajaaj viste???? I think she runs kettle with a 386.... jajaj
    Last edited by hernanthiebaut; 08-04-2009 at 02:43 PM.

It run OK on Vista,

but I prefer the 2000 in any way

Hi all,

Just to confirm what has been clarified :
    I am using kettle 3.1 and 3.2 without any problems on Vista for over a year.

Groeten,

Bart

Thank you all of you for the posts.
    Vista won, so I will migrate.
    Then I'll tell you the results ...
    mc

Finally I'm running PDI with Vista.
    It looks great, it runs ok,
    pan and kitchen run! (they don't on Windows 2000 for the ancient version 3.0.4)

I just realized that the .kettle folder is not located in Documents and Settings/ but in /Profiles, so I updated the wiki references (http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Beginners+FAQ and http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...ng+Hello+World

mc