Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Generating Multiple Rows of Data from a single row

Default Generating Multiple Rows of Data from a single row

I am having an issue with a scenario that I have not been able to find a solution without exiting to a java script.

I have a job that retrieves a row of data from any type of data source. I then need to interrogate that row of data and then generate n number of rows from that initial row.

Some of the data in the new rows will will be duplicates, some data will be new, and some data will be using the data that is in the row as seed data to perform calculations.

From each of these rows, I may or may not need to generate another subset of rows. Again, I do not know the number in advance and I need to interrogate the data normally in the initial row.

Can someone provide an example of how to handle the initial problem of reading a single row then generating multple rows from that row.

If i can get that working, I could always do multiple passes to handle the second condition.

Thank you in advance.

DEinspanjer Guest

Take a look in the samples/transformations directory of your Kettle installation for the "JavaScript - create new rows.ktr" example. It should get you started.

Or use the "Clone Rows" step.
    Or join with a bunch of empty rows.

Default Clone Rows Followed with Switch/Case

We have been successful utilizing the Clone Rows as stated by Matt then using a Switch/Case Step to distibute the rows down paths that handle various scenarios that utilize the stream data similar to the situation you have described below. If a particular row does not need to generate output for a branch we simply filter them in to dummy steps so we can see a complete picture of the stream flow in our logs. Hope this helps.

Default Solutions

Thank you for the sugestions. I will examine the sample that was referenced.

Just to make sure that I understand. the other suggestion

If the max number of rows that I need to generate is 36, then generate that many and if after interrogation the row only needs 12 then simply filter down to those 12 ?

Default Clarification

That sounds like you have a good grasp of what we did in our flows. If you have 36 scenarios simply make 35 clones Original makes 36. Presumably each clone would follow a branch of logic that either results in a row or flows to no where. I am new with Pentaho, Matt may be able to verify this approach works. Our current transformation only creates 1 clone so I am not clear on how you can identify which clone it is to flow it down the correct path. We have a simple true/false switch/case for 2 streams. You could always nest the clones always flowing through a true false if the logic for the 36 rows can be eliminated after earlier steps in the flow.