Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: reuse parameter name & label as fields on the report

Default reuse parameter name & label as fields on the report

I used prd-ce-CITRUS-M7 to design a report with input parameters. As on all our reports the parameters are printed, i would like to reuse the Name and Label (as shown in the "edit parameter" screen and put it on the report. I tried using the ${parameter name} , but it did not work.

Just pull the parameter into your report. Parameters are not different than any other field in the report. Therefore the ${fieldname} syntax only works in message-fields.

To print the parameter's name, use a ordinary label, like everyone else
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Default got it working

Thanks Thomas.
    I got it to work in the latest version of the designer.

Up to now, designing a report has alway's been a IT task, because the tools were not user friendly enough. With this new designer, the time is there to try again to give the designer to business people.

Therefor i wanted to make it as easy as possible to design a new report based on a template. The goal is that the elements of the template should not be changed. (Is there somewhere on the to-do list an option to protect the opjects in the template so they cannot be changed unless you know the pasword or have otherwise autorization?)
    With this in mind, it makes more sense to have an option to reuse the label of a parameter. The end user only have to change the label in the edit box of the parameters to have the label change on the report.

Hmm... I am asking too much. If i change the name of a parameter and this parameter is displayed on the report, the parameter on the report does not change. It stay's on the old value. Is this on the to-do list?

Well, yes, you are asking way to much in such an ordinary little forum-post

Create JIRA cases for your suggestions and we can schedule them into our release cycle. Obviously, none of them will make it into the Citrus-Release (as we are already deep into stabilization), but Sugar development will start right after Citrus is out of the door.

All of your suggestions are sensible, so they will be greeted with love.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.