Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Connection in Oracle

Default Connection in Oracle

I am getting an error message that Spoon cannot connect to an Oracle Service. This is really strange since I connect to Oracle DBs all the time via SID and Service with native JDBC connection. This particular service seems to give Spoon an issue. I know that Matt C. has a great love of Oracle's SQLNet connection scheme, but I am hoping someone else may have seen this.

Error connecting to database [CPL QA3] : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    Error occured while trying to connect to the database

Error connecting to database: (using class oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver)
    Listener refused the connection with the following error:
    ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor
    The Connection descriptor used by the client was:
    192.168.61.178:1521:TAF

org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    Error occured while trying to connect to the database

I can connect to the database service with SQL Developer and TOAD and with Informatica using the same connection information. I am using 3.2.0-GA on MacOS and Oracle 10.2 on a remote server. I have not tried OCI. The definition of TAF is a Service not the SID.

For grins, I pulled the latest 4.0 build and got the same error.

Any thoughts?

Bill W.

When this happened to me, was the name of the database wrong. Try another name and try other Oracle databases if possible. Probably one of the three parameters is wrong: the database name, hostname or port number.

pstoellberger Guest

well it does say in the error "listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor" - so TAF is not your correct SID

i think you can see the available SID's on the remote machine with something like "/etc/init.d/oracle status"

Actually, I can connect from other tools with the same connection information. TAF is not the SID it is the service name. I use service names in other Spoon connections without any problems. The TNS Listener should be just looking for a valid name and the SID or service name should work. So, I know the connection is good, and I know that services as well as SID naming conventions work through the JDBC connector so this is baffling.

The only thought I had was maybe the way the JDBC driver works (not Spoon issue). The Oracle thin connector uses serverort/service for service connections and serverort:SID for SID connections. Just reaching here. I did try to put 1521/TAF in the port field and left the SID blank, just as a test. But that did not work.

So, I am not sure where the issue is. It is baffling that this server is the only one I have a problem connecting. BTW, the TNS entry is a bit different than others:

TAF.WORLD =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.61.178)(PORT = 1521))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.61.179)(PORT = 1521))
    (LOAD_BALANCE = yes)
    (FAILOVER = ON)
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = TAF)
    (FAILOVER_MODE =
    (TYPE = SELECT)
    (METHOD = BASIC)
    (RETRIES = 180)
    (DELAY = 5)
    )
    )