Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: record counts in group by

Default record counts in group by

Hello
    I have a simple report in Report Designer that I am having trouble with counting records in Item Band.

There are only 3 data elements in the report, the query is below. I am grouping the data element that is being counted (casenum) by the other two elements in the report: Types Meta (group) and Types (sub-group). This grouping is in both the query and in Report Designer.

However, when I preview the report in Report Designer, I am only getting one value displaying for each sub-grouping and the data element that is being counted is displaying the total count for the entire date range in the overall report and not the sub-total for each grouping/sub-grouping.

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?

Paul

SELECT
    t.TYPES_META,
    t.DESCRIPTION,
    count(c.CASENUM)

FROM
    CDRC_AUTOMATION.TYPES t,
    CDRC_AUTOMATION.CASES c

WHERE
    c.FINALDISPDATE between TO_DATE('04/01/2008','mm/dd/yyyy') and TO_DATE('03/31/2009','mm/dd/yyyy')

GROUP BY
    t.TYPES_META,
    t.DESCRIPTION

When you use the SQL-Group-by and SQL-aggregate functions, the database driver does all the aggregation and will not return the various items. So if you want to list all the items for a group in a report, do not aggregate on the database level. Let the reporting engine do that job.

(Database level aggregation is a good thing if you just want to print the totals and do *not* want to print the details at all.)
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.