Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: New fields added to the datasource

Default New fields added to the datasource

Hello:

I have working transformation. It as simple as an XML input, an step to delete some of the fields, and a table output.

When I add new fields to the datasource, I have to delete and re-create the step in the middle.

Any help?

Thanks in advance

Default Check Datsource Cache

You may simply need to clear your datasource cache. This post http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=71687 covers a similar topic from August 7.

Thank you,
    Jeff

But I'm working against an XML file!!! There's no database, there's no cache.

Quote Originally Posted by aflorez View Post
    I have working transformation. It as simple as an XML input, an step to delete some of the fields, and a table output.

When I add new fields to the datasource, I have to delete and re-create the step in the middle.

Any help?
    Help for what? What do expect to happen when you add fields to the datasource? And what DOES happen?
    Fabian,
    doing ETL with his hands bound on his back

I expect to simply edit the XML to add the new fields, and so on. But If I do so, everything fails. Instead, I have to delete the step and make it again.

I doubt that very much :-)

Well... you are true. I am inventing that and my unique purpose is to waste your time

Quote Originally Posted by aflorez View Post
    I expect to simply edit the XML to add the new fields, and so on. But If I do so, everything fails. Instead, I have to delete the step and make it again.
    I still don't get it.
    When you add fields to your input XML it should not break your transformation (if you stick to the general layout of your XML that is).

And if you need to add these fields you can just edit that "Get data from XML" step.

So... I still don't get it. In what way do you change your input XML and how should PDI know about that? Do you expect it to add fields at runtime - just because your input file changed? Or do you have a problem working this out at design time?

Provide more useful information please.
    Fabian,
    doing ETL with his hands bound on his back

At design time. This is what I do, step by step:

1.- Add new field(s) to the XML.
    2.- Add the new columns to the destination table.
    2.- Edit the XML input -> Fields tab -> there I add the new field(s)
    3.- Edit the "Select Values" step to be sure it is getting the new field(s)
    4.- Edit the "table output", to be sure it is recieving everything properly.
    5.- Check the "show output fields" in the "table output" to be sure that everything seems to be ok.
    6.- Run. It fails. Is says that the new added field(s) doesn't exist (in the "select values" step.

To solve that, I delete the "select values" step and I create it from scratch. And it works.

Question Add new values

What option are you using when you edit the existing Select Values Step? I assume you are opening the Select Values Step and pressing the Get fields to select button in order to read the available fields in the stream from the XML step. Are you choosing (Add new, Add all or Clear and add all). I thought i would try an example here on my dev environment and see if I can recreate your results.

Thank you,
    Jeff

Talking

I am inventing that and my unique purpose is to waste your time
    LOL, I was just thinking the exact same thing :-)

On a more serious note, perhaps you should look around for a simple easy solution that doesn't require you to re-create the step.