Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Table input step - query building - multiple tables

Default Table input step - query building - multiple tables

Currently I write my table input sql in a seperate tool outside of Pentaho Kettle because the query building functionality isn't the greatest.
    I checked the roadmap for Kettle and didn't see anything listed around this topic. I apologize if I missed the topic in the roadmap.

Are there any plans for enhancing the query building functionality in the table input step to be able to build queries on the fly from multiple tables?
    Thanks,
    JD

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-2293

Coming to a release near you.

Default Release

Thanks Matt!

Please note that regardless, SQL is really not that hard to learn. It's also knowledge that really comes in handy when dealing with data integration.

I bet you could learn the basics in under an hour...

And I strongly suggest that you keep the button for ad hoc SQL.

I'm pretty sure that I don't want to click through a dozen fields and tables to get my SQL
    Fabian,
    doing ETL with his hands bound on his back

Quote Originally Posted by MattCasters View Post
    Please note that regardless, SQL is really not that hard to learn. It's also knowledge that really comes in handy when dealing with data integration.

I bet you could learn the basics in under an hour...

Matt,

I'm writing sql in vi with 20 or so joins accross 4 different db vendors so I'm pretty much ok writing sql.

In the future there will be other users developing in kettle who aren't as technical which would benefit from a slicker interface for writing sql.

The ability to cut and paste the sql into the table input step should be an option moving forward.

Copy/Paste has always been around.

For those situations where you have one team that knows the data structure of a database and another that implements the data warehouse, it might be better to look to different solutions though. In these situations it might be better to have one team set up a Pentaho metadata model of the data and another make selections. To support that we will create a step that allows you to read data from a Pentaho BI server from a metadata model. (over web-services) This will provide sufficient abstraction to allow for clean separation of responsibilities.