Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Use Call db Procedure with Environment variables

Default Use Call db Procedure with Environment variables

Hi everyone.

I have a kettle 3.0, and i have a Generate row, i generate a "new row" that i will use in a DB Procedure step (this is because db procedure needs to be triggered) so in the new row i wrote the variable name and in the value column i wrote ${MesProcesado}, which is an environment variable, but when i run the transformation the row does not take the variable value.

how can i accomplish this? i mean to pass variables to procedure's parameters with "Call db procedure" step

thanks
    Edgar Valdez

Try the "Get Variables" step instead
    It will pull a variable into the data stream.

Hi Edgar,

Remember to set the variable outside the transformation, i.e. in the job that calls the transformation.

Regards
    Paul

Hello

well i tried to use "Get variables" in a preview transformation but still fails, i saw the log and found this:

- ERROR (version 3.1.0, build 826 from 2008/09/30 11:32:36) : Error buscando campo: ${Country}]
    2009/08/13 10:13:18 - Procesa Putty.0 - ERROR (version 3.1.0, build 826 from 2008/09/30 11:32:36) : Este paso no puede continuar debido a un error:
    2009/08/13 10:13:18 - Procesa Putty.0 - ERROR (version 3.1.0, build 826 from 2008/09/30 11:32:36) : No se ha podido encontrar el campo '${Country}' en la fila!

where ${Country} is the variable that i defined, and pentaho says "can't find the field ${Country}", in the object "Call DB Procedure" where you define the name of parameters i wrote the variable name, but pentaho does not replace the variable's value, it left the name of variable as parameter, example:

${Country} = 'ABC'

Pentaho sends ${Country} instead of 'ABC'.

i used "Row Generator" because Pentaho's FAQ says i need that object before a "Call DB Procedure". look:
    http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Call+DB+Procedure

Then i added the "Row Generator" again and y wrote the variable name where you define the value of the row, example:

Object: "Row Generator"
    name Country
    Type: String
    Value: ${Country}

in a preview of this step show me Country: ${Country}, instead of Country: ABC, that is the value of ${Country}

Any idea or suggest?

Regards...
    Last edited by edgarvaldez; 08-13-2009 at 09:57 AM.

The FAQ is saying that you have to send a row to the the "Call DB Procedure" step before it will do anything. If you use a "Get Variables" step to generate a row with a column "Country" which gets set to ${Country}, you can then use that column as the input to the DB Procedure.

Note that DB Procedure does not accept variables.

Your model doesn't work, as the column "Country" is getting set to the string "${Country}" rather than the value of the variable.

As suggested before, try using the "Get Variables" step *INSTEAD* of the "Generate Rows"

Ohhh really, you're right, i did not read well, yes, if i use a "Get Variable" it works!!!

thanks a lot!!

regards....