Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Corrupt report bundle problem

Default Corrupt report bundle problem

Hi!
    I have been working on a quite complex report and than saved it as prpt in PRD3.5.
    After reopening I get an error "Sorry I was unable to interpret the file as a valid report definition. The file may be corrupted or no master report definition at all".

I need a way to recover the report, it is really important. I created a new empty report, saved it and started copying the files from the old zip-bundle to the new one and try to open it. The error occurs when I copy the old layout.xml.
    I inspect the file but can't find any obvious problem.
    Can I get a more detailed info of the problem from the designer? any other method to identify the problem?

Can you post the exception? (From the red icon in the toolbar.) This should tell us what is going on.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

The problem is that there is no error or stacktrace. Just the message. looks like this

Ugly. I changed the OpenAction (and several other actions as well) to have some better error reporting.

Can you create a JIRA case and attach that file (or at least the layout.xml, as you said this is the one that blows up). Then I can start debugging and can make sure that the report loads nicely.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

I finally tracked the error down. It was not the layout.xml, but some other stuff that was included from there...

In the report I have a master and some subreports. On the master I put an image in the page-header. I choose to "embedd in report". This resulted in the image being included in /styles.xml like

Code:
    <core:value resource-type="resource-key">resourcekey:org.pentaho.reporting.libraries.docbundle.bundleloader.RepositoryResourceBundleLoader;resources/image.gif;&quot;&quot;&quot;l:designtime::original_value=C:\logo2.gif&quot;&quot;&quot;</core:value>
    which works ok. the image is put under /ressources

Then I put another image in the pageheader of one of the subreports and chose the same option. In this case the image was included directly in
    /subreport1/styles.xml as a binary stream

Code:
     <core:value resource-type="resource-key">resourcekey:org.pentaho.reporting.libraries.resourceloader.loader.raw.RawResourceLoader;&quot;GIF89aÃŽ...
    After i manually deleted this image from the xml file and repacked the prpt it opens again .

Seems like images are handled differently in master and subreports. Embedding them in xml doesnt seem so good to me.

Edit: I also planned to debug but the source for 3.5rc1 is not on svn... will it be released later?

You should not have ended with a RawResourceKey in the data. This is clearly a bug on our side.

The reporting projects use a different SVN repository:
    svn://source.pentaho.org/pentaho-reporting/tools/report-designer/trunk/

Default Problem Persists in RC2

This problem persists in RC2 of the Report Designer. I added an image to a subreport for the page header, and the image is embedded as a binary stream in the styles.xml file. In the main report it is a reference to the resources directory.

Subreport styles.xml
    Code:
    <layout:content core:element-type="content">
          <element-style>
            <content-styles scale="true" keep-aspect-ratio="true"/>
            <spatial-styles x="460" y="0" min-width="30" min-height="25"/>
          </element-style>
          <core:value resource-type="resource-key">
    resourcekey:org.pentaho.reporting.libraries.resourceloader.loader.raw.RawResourceLoader;&quot;___JFIF
    Main report styles.xml
    Code:
        <layout:content core:element-type="content">
          <element-style>
            <content-styles scale="true" keep-aspect-ratio="true"/>
            <spatial-styles x="370" y="52" min-width="50" min-height="50"/>
          </element-style>
          <core:value resource-type="resource-key">
    resourcekey:org.pentaho.reporting.libraries.docbundle.bundleloader.RepositoryResourceBundleLoader;resources/image.jpg;&quot;&quot;&quot;l:designtime::original_value=RGF_icon.jpg&quot;&quot;&quot;
          </core:value>

The problem is that I fixed the broken report by editing the xml (copying the ressource from styles.xml to styles.xml) and the report runs. But it cant be saved by the designer now... giving a "cannot serialize..." problem.

Hi folks,

After saving and closing PRD 3.5 correctly, once I reopen it again I got this message:

The error (quite massive):
    http://pastebin.com/m4d24102f

I've tried to fix it following the "caused by" tips, but with no results, any idea would be great, but I guess I'll have to redo it again.

Thanx