Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Ad-Hoc error in IE but still works fine in Firefox and Chrome

Default Ad-Hoc error in IE with SSL, patched but needing confirmation

Afternoon all.

Bi-platform 3.0.0-stable running on linux
    postgres 8.3
    IE8/FF3.5

Got a bit of a problem with ad-hoc reporting, I have set up my system to report from a postgres database, every thing else works fine, reports generate, mantle works (Well looks a bit ugly in places and a few graphical problems but not too bad for IE) in IE and firefox. Until I got around to setting up ad-hoc reporting. Works fine in firefox I can create and save reports (Which I can view in IE) however if I click the new report button in IE I get the page loading then an alert box pops up with the following in it, and the page stops loading.

Code:
    name: Error
    number: -2147024809
    description: Invalid argument
    I have removed the samples, and only have one business view set up in the system at the moment. I have logged in with the same user and different ones both get this error so pretty sure its not some thing to do with the rolls.

I have googled for the error number and got no hits and for the Invalid argument message and got more hits than I can count but none that seem to apply to pentaho.

I have checked a stock PCI install on my machine and another machine, on both the ad-hoc reporting works fine. So I am pretty sure its not the browsers causing this problem.

Any one got any idea's for things I could try next to track down what's going on/what I have messed up some where?

Wil
    Last edited by wselwood; 08-20-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    SQL: as much of a standard as the English language

Ok I broke out the alert(); function and started trying to work out where this error was coming from. Having been through the JavaScript code trying to track down where its failing its on line 95 of js/ui/stepsLayout.js

Code:
    shim_availBusinessBlock.style.height = (topRowHeight - SHIM_HEIGHT) + "px";
    The problem is caused by SHIM_HEIGHT being undefined. Which makes sort of sense. SHIM_HEIGHT is defined inside an if statement above this block of code which works out the size of the window for different browsers (firefox, IE7 and IE6) for some reason IE8 is not falling into any of those sections and so SHIM_HEIGHT is staying undefined.

Now this would make sense as a simple bug, however this is where things start getting a little bit weird. If I run an a PCI install on my local machine this error doesn't happen, its picking the IE7 branch when its checking for the browser, but on the remote server its not picking any of the branches.

As far as I know the only things different between the two sites is one is running on my local machine and the other is running over an SSLed connection to a remote public domain. The remote server also has different users and rolls set up, and different reports, but I wouldn't have thought those could make a difference to the JavaScript here.

I am now going to go away and check on the security settings on IE, if any one has any ideas they want to share I would be very happy to hear them.

Wil

I wasn't able to find any settings in IE8 that made it work as it does when connecting to a local site. There may well be a way to get it to work but we would have to get every one to set up their machine just right to make it work. Easier way is to just add a section to the stepsLayout.js code that deals with IE8 on SSLed connections.

At the moment from speaking to people in the IRC room I haven't been able to find any one with an SSLed bi platform that also has IE8 kicking around so have been unable to get any one else to reproduce the problem. If you can please let me know.

I have attached a patch file of the changes I made. If some one can confirm this is a problem I'll raise a jira for it and attach it. The file you need to patch is in tomcat/webapps/pentaho/adhoc/js/ui and is called stepsLayout.js

Any improvements to the patch let me know.

Wil
    Attached Files Attached Files

I also see this error behavior on IE 7.0.5730.13 using Pentaho 3.5.1.RC1.39705 (EE).

Hi Clavigne

Did the patch solve the problem? see also BISERVER-3560.

Good luck

Wil