Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: SQL Query from a stream

Default SQL Query from a stream

Hello,
    I would like to do a free SQL Query with the result of a previous step. How can I do? I can't find any step in kettle to do it.

You mean you got a field in a table where a sql command is stored, and want to execute this?
    If yes i am very interested in this, too.
    I tried it with variables, and field replacing, but both dont work.
    Variables do not work, because you cant make sure the variable is set before the sql is executed as both the input and the sql run in parallel threads.

I just found "Execute SQL script" and "Execute row SQL Script" maybe this is the thing we are searching for.
    I will have a look into this.

*Edit*
    Ok, the both above do not work for me (Are for a different case), but "Dynamic SQL Row" is what i was searching for.
    Maybe it fits your needs, too.
    Last edited by gunni; 08-20-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Default Is not dinamic Query

Is not dinamic query. Is very simple. If I have a table input step that returns a Oracle table. And I want to execute a SQL select from this table input results. For example, like SQL: "select * from table", but instead of 'table' it will be the table input results directly.
    Obiously, the select wouldn't be as simple as 'select *', it would be more sophisticated with functions and something like that.
    Maybe, Is not the correct tool to design SQL queries graphically.
    I have found something close to this using the Mapping step, but I would like something faster.

Thank you

Is your goal to find a graphical SQL design tool? If so, the Mapping steps are the nearest thing to that that I've seen, and you're right, they're not all that easy to use. On the other hand, if your goal is to end up with the results of a SELECT statement for use somewhere, just develop the SELECT statement in a different tool, such as TOAD, and paste it into the Table Input step. That's what I normally do.