Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Online Data Integration

Default Online Data Integration

Hi everybody,

I asked already a question about "endless" running transformations a couple of days ago. Now I have a question about "online data integration". I'm not sure if this is the right term to use. But I was thinking about an input step to queue data from a tcp/ip socket, which gets data once in a while. And everytime something is received at the input this data is transformed and stored e.g. in a database or is send to another socket?

Is something like this possible? Maybe somebody already wrote such an input step?

Thanks

Well... no answer yet ... so is it not possible or is it because of my explanation

there is already a socket reader and socket writer step. Will they do what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by codek View Post
    there is already a socket reader and socket writer step. Will they do what you want?
    I'm really not sure if those steps can do it... I read or better saw that the PDI can also be used for EAI... The use cases I remember dealing with EAI often use some Input from one socket and write the data to another socket... but the input is used as trigger for the whole transformation...

I will try to understand those to step you mentioned and tell you if this is a step into the right direction

Thanks for your answer!

Just for your information... I'm still trying to figure out how I can use those steps for the needs we have... I also read a tdwi article (Data Integration: ETL, EAI, and EII Tools to Create an Integrated Enterprise - http://download.101com.com/tdwi/rese...IRR_Report.pdf).

My question :
    With the definition of the article of an EAI process (especially: it is event driven) would you say that the PDI can be used for that? Or would you say only partly? or not at all?

Thanks!

Endless transformations are quite possible. In PDI 4.0 we will be modifying the logging architecture "a bit" to allow us to better see what's going on during the lifetime of these beasts.

Obviously "reading from tcp/ip" is a bit too generic. However, since you can write a plugin (it's quite easy actually) AND log data concerning the transformation yourself you can already do what you need to do.